Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Cook County
Schaumburg police warn of phony IRS scam Mar 9, 2015 5:06 PM
Schaumburg police are warning of a potential scam involving people posing as IRS agents and seeking payment on taxes not owed. Authorities said several residents reported receiving calls from the IRS seeking bogus tax payments.
Legislators propose changes in bail bond charges Mar 9, 2015 6:38 PM
A group of lawmakers is proposing legislation that would limit bail bond processing charges in Cook County. The proposal would cap at $100 the amount of bail bond money the clerk of the Circuit Court of Cook County could keep for processing bail.
Cook County voter registration deadline is Tuesday Mar 9, 2015 10:41 AM
The deadline to register to vote in the upcoming consolidated election April 7 is Tuesday, the office of Cook County Clerk David Orr said Monday. Suburban Cook County voters can verify their registration status by using the “Your Voter Information” tool at cookcountyclerk.com.
Dawn Patrol: Bobcat sighting near Wauconda; Hawks shut out in OT Mar 9, 2015 5:51 AM
Bobcat spotted near Wauconda. Suburban show choirs win big at Hersey. Elgin frying pan murder suspect still not fit for trial. LEGO fans piece together good time in Geneva. Turnovers too much for Bulls to overcome. Hawks shut out in OT against Rangers
Metra commute should be normal Tuesday, officials say Mar 9, 2015 10:37 PM
A Metra train has derailed it will greatly impact tonight’s commute on three different lines: the North Central line, Milwaukee District North line and the Milwaukee District West line, Metra officials say.
After a long winter, a spring in our steps Mar 8, 2015 6:52 PM
It may be too early for the shorts and bathing suits just yet, but there are signs that spring is on its way. It's still almost two weeks until the official start of spring, but this weekend seemed to mark the start of a transition, from the days of sledding and skating to those of jogging and, before long, baseball.
Dawn Patrol: Girl meets stem cell donor; fire victim died from fall Mar 6, 2015 5:49 AM
Mt. Prospect girl meets her German stem cell donor; Rolling Meadows fire victim died from injuries in fall; Pedestrian killed by train near Round Lake; Witness describes stabbing death of Naperville teacher; Defense suggests Geneva death was accident, not murder; Marshall trade not likely to help Bears much.
Public takes advantage of free measles vaccination Mar 6, 2015 3:39 PM
The Cook County Department of Public Health Friday held the first of two free measles vaccination clinics at a Palatine church in an effort to stop the recent outbreak of the disease at 15 confirmed cases. “Our concern is we continue to see the transmission of measles in this area of Cook County,” said Sean McDermott, director of policy development and communications for the department.
Elk Grove Village man charged with pimping Mar 6, 2015 2:23 PM
Blake Steckel, 31, of Elk Grove Village, was arrested Thursday on pimping charges following a sting last month by the Cook County Sheriff's Office targeting prostitution.
Register now for InZone summer camps at Harper Mar 6, 2015 12:15 PM
From cupcakes in the kitchen to concoctions in the chemistry lab, Harper College’s InZone summer enrichment and sports camp has had all the right components to create memorable summers for children ages 8 to 14 for more than a decade.
Dawn Patrol: Rolling Meadows fire kills 1; stabbing victim testifies Mar 5, 2015 11:44 AM
1 dead in apartment building fire in Rolling Meadows. Naperville bar stabbing victim testifies to drinking, not recalling much. Vote cuts Kane sheriff budget by $1.5 million, with options for Kramer. Roselle parolee arrested on charges of selling heroin. Schaumburg man charged with selling meth. Fowler ready to be Cubs’ leading man.
County spay-neuter program extended through March Mar 4, 2015 4:35 PM
Cook County’s annual partnership with private veterinarians to offer discounted spay and neuter services for pets has been extended through March.
Griffin: Rauner plan could cost suburbs 25% of reserves Mar 5, 2015 5:40 AM
When Gov. Bruce Rauner suggested withholding half of the municipal share of income tax revenues to shore up state finances, he assumed towns could absorb the loss by dipping into reserves. But can they? An analysis of 90 suburbs shows most could turn to reserves -- but only in the first year of the state cutting their income tax share.
Dawn Patrol: Weather advisory until noon; Board opposes Rauner’s plan Mar 3, 2015 7:09 AM
Weather advisory until noon. Arlington Hts. board passes resolution against local budget cuts. Mayors: Really 3 things in Rauner budget hurt suburbs. Crystal Lake police seek despondent teen. Lawmakers unveil aggressive plan to curb heroin use. Police say two Glendale Heights men robbed carload of people. Wrigley’s right-field bleachers may be delayed until June. Hawks make quick work of Hurricanes.
Dawn Patrol: $2,000 bongs targeted; an idea to honor Minoso, Banks Mar 2, 2015 5:53 AM
Robbers target $2,000 bongs in St. Charles, police say. Bids come in for Maine West gym addition. Hundreds take icy plunge in Palatine. An idea to honor both Minnie Minoso and Ernie Banks. Hawks deny any team turmoil. Now Bulls leading scorer Jimmy Butler is injured
Vehicles could compare notes about hazards on I-90 Mar 2, 2015 7:22 PM
The tollway hopes to test out 'Knight Rider' technology on its revamped I-90 corridor. The agency is partnering with an engineering firm to apply for a federal grant to turn I-90 into a laboratory for "connected cars" that talk to each other.
Winter weather advisory in effect until noon, then rain and sleet to follow Mar 3, 2015 10:51 AM
A winter weather advisory remains in effect and snowfall is starting accumulate in the Chicago suburbs. The advisory is set to expire at noon today, but not before it's anticipated to deposit between 1 and 2 inches of snow in the suburban area. The snow is expected to move on as temperatures climb to 37 degrees this afternoon, then switch over to rain and sleet.
We missed big snow, but wintry mess heading our way Mar 2, 2015 7:43 AM
A winter storm moving across Illinois brought as much as 8 inches of snow to central parts of the state. But the Chicago area is just continuing to deal with cold and then a wintry mess that will come late Monday into Tuesday.
Dawn Patrol: Sleepy I-88 trucker convicted; MCC student killed Feb 27, 2015 5:55 AM
Trucker found guilty of most charges in fatal I-88 crash. Elgin man charged in break-ins. MCC student killed in crash with commuter train. Farnham sentencing won’t be delayed despite illness. Fire destroys van in Palatine. Island Lake cop gets new $60,000-a-year-job. Rose’ future unknown after surgery.
Dawn Patrol: Fatal crash slows trains; trucker’s trial could end today Feb 26, 2015 5:53 AM
Fatal accident, other problems slow commute on Metra. Important ruling today in trucker's trial. School bus rolls over in Lindenhurst. Another measles case in Cook County. Newly discovered film footage shows horrors of Eastland disaster. Thibodeau says Rose's injury is unfair.
- Harper College promises two years of free tuition
- Guinea president reinforces emergency Ebola measures
- Mom asks Arlington Heights schools to ban peanuts
- Rozner: Bears show true colors with McDonald signing
- Harper president tried free tuition program at his last school
- Son's illiness causes Maryland coach Frese to 'enjoy the moment'
- St. Viator wins second straight
- If you put 10% of your paycheck into savings, you should be able to retire
- Dist. 211 renames new special-needs building
- Facebook's 'On This Day' seeks to fix problem social media created
- Trash bin fire causes smoke damage at Mundelein Goodwill
- Kuma's Corner coming to Schaumburg in July
- The sex discrimination trial that rocked Silicon Valley. What you need to know.
- Bulls thriving after being spurned by Melo
- Wheaton man charged with stealing from Downers Grove charity
- Ex-Islamic Foundation finance director admits theft
- Change in constitution is only permanent solution to pension crisis
- Rolling Meadows man charged with convenience store robbery
- Prosecutors: Employee stole $3,600 from Rosemont restaurant
- Elgin man charged with selling heroin near school
- Suburban lawmaker's plan to decriminalize marijuana rejected
- Naperville native tackles Jean Valjean for Paramount's 'Les Mis'
- Endorsements: Blackwood, LaBedz, Scaletta, Sidor for Arlington Heights trustee
- Harper College promises two years of free tuition
- A summary of Daily Herald endorsements in suburban school and municipal races
- Psych exam sought in Illinois case involving dead cats, dogs
- Durbin statements show double standard
- Moving Picture: Trainer teaches sailors ship-saving welding
- Elgin cleric pleads not guilty to sexual abuse charges
- Guinea president reinforces emergency Ebola measures
- QUALITY CONTROL INSPECTOR - Quality Control Inspector 2nd Shift 2:00pm-11:00pm Aerospace Manufacturing Duties: CMM experience, ability to perform dimensional inspection of complex machined parts experience with setting up and using bore gages. Benefits: Shift Premium, 401K, Blue Cross Health Insurance Send Resume Fax: 847 439 0230 or email resume PamS@ajrindustries.com See web site for more information at www.ajrindustries.com (id:4400160) LABORER / LANDSCAPE - Laborer -Acres Group is hiring landscape Maintenance Foremen and Laborers for the entire Chicagoland area. Interested applicants must have valid driver's license and proper documentation. Apply in person North: 610 W. Liberty St. Wauconda-(847) 526-4554, Central: 250 N. Garden Ave Roselle-(630) 351-4336, South: 23940 W. Andrews Rd. Plainfield-(815) 439-2022. (id:4400043) PAYROLL - Payroll -NSSEO, a special education public school district, has an immediate FT Payroll Officer position available in Mt. Prospect. Responsibilities include processing payroll for 400+ employees & being a key liaison between HR, Business & outside service providers. Ideal candidate will possess a strong payroll or accounting background with exceptional Excel skills & customer service driven attitude. Exp. with AS400 or Infinite Visions a plus. Competitive salary & benefit package starting at $24.19/hr. Apply online at www.nsseo.org. EOE (id:4401863)
- DRYWALL TAPER / FINISHER - Drywall taper/finisher for new construction and remodeling work Call Chuck 630-330-6326 (id:4402475) DRIVERS - Part-Time Drivers Wanted Manheim Auto Auction, the world's leading provider of vehicle remarketing services is seeking energetic individuals to join Manheim Arena in Bolingbrook, IL. Simple to qualify: Regular driver license and clean record. Able to work 7-29 hrs/week. Good attention to detail and safety sense. Ability to stand, enter/exit cars during shifts. Able to pass background check and drug test. Apply at www.ManheimDriverJobs.com search for job 144958. (id:4401696) TEACHER PRESCHOOL - Small, independent Preschool in Rolling Meadows, IL offering full and part day programs, looking for a full time 3-4 yr. old teacher. Must be teacher qualified. Familiar with all State and NAEYC accreditation standards. Full time year around position. Top salary and benefits based on qualifications. Call Sara at 847-991-7900 or email@example.com (id:4400186)
- PET SITTER - ELGIN-BASED PET CARE PROVIDER SEEKING FULL TIME and PART TIME PET SITTER ASSISTANT. EMAIL RESUME TO ELGINPETSITTER@GMAIL.COM. (id:4401494) CLEANING - CARPET CLEANING Water Damage Tech. Must have DL & speak Eng. $12 -15 to start + bonus potential. McMaid Rolling Meadows 847-991-2383 (id:4402039) JOB FAIR - COME AND EXPLORE THE EXCITING CAREER OPPORTUNITIES AT BRIARWOOD HEALTHCARE CENTER JOB FAIR Giveaways!!! Refreshments! WHEN: THURSDAY, APRIL 2, 2015 1:00 PM -5:00 PM WHERE: 350 W. SCHAUMBURG RD. SCHAUMBURG, IL 60194 Bridgewater place -SARAH'S GROVE Career Opportunities Available: Registered nurse (FT/PT/POOL) Certified nursing assistant (FT/PT) ON-THE-SPOT INTERVIEWS will be offered! Bring your resume! Friendship Village offers excellent salary and benefits. www.friendshipsenioroptions.org Friendship Village is an Equal Opportunity Employer (id:4402540)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.