Students and staff in Elgin Area School District U-46 will support and honor local veterans and troops with special ceremonies, concerts, breakfasts and assemblies the week of Nov. 6.
In addition, more than a dozen local veterans are visiting 80-plus classrooms in 16 schools across the district next week to talk to students about their service and their lives.
The district is providing this opportunity for living history lessons in partnership with the Gail Borden Public Library in Elgin.
"This is a great opportunity for our students to learn through stories told directly by the men and women who have served our country," said Chief Executive Officer Tony Sanders. "We're grateful for another great partnership with Gail Borden Library to provide a memorable learning experience."
Veterans in this special program, "Veterans Voices," are scheduled to visit Clinton, Fox Meadow, Garfield, Hanover Countryside, Laurel Hill, Liberty, Lords Park, Nature Ridge, Oakhill, Ronald D. O'Neal, Parkwood, Ridge Circle, Spring Trail, Timber Trails, and Washington elementary schools and South Elgin High School between Nov. 6 and 10.
Veterans who may want to participate in future "Veterans Voices" events are encouraged to visit www.gailborden.info/veterans to learn more and submit a volunteer application.
Additional Veterans Day events are as follows:
• Abbott Middle School, 949 Van St. in Elgin: On Monday, Nov. 6, to Thursday, Nov. 9, students will write letters/thank-you cards to active service members. At 3 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10, students will participate in a virtual assembly honoring Illinois veterans and active military service members.
• Bartlett High School, 701 W. Schick Road: Assembly from 9:15 to 10 a.m. Friday, Nov. 10.
• Canton Middle School, 1100 Sunset Circle, Streamwood: CMS partners with Salute Inc. to fundraise, host and salute veterans. Fundraiser involves the principal, vice principal and dean taking a pie to the face. On Friday, Nov. 10, there will be an assembly from 9 to 10 a.m., followed by veterans in classrooms.
• Century Oaks Elementary, 1235 Braeburn Drive in Elgin: Various classroom events, including writing letters to our veterans thanking them for their service, on Monday, Nov. 6, to Friday, Nov. 10.
• Hawk Hollow Elementary, 235 Jacaranda Drive, Bartlett: Students will give presentations for the veterans and veterans will go into classrooms to share their experiences in the armed forces from 8:15 to 11 a.m. Monday, Nov. 6.
• Heritage Elementary, 507 Arnold Ave., Streamwood: Students will honor veterans during a ceremony at the flagpole from 8 to 9 a.m. Friday, Nov. 10.
• Hillcrest Elementary, 80 N. Airlite St., Elgin: Jerry Paulsen, veteran and founder of Operation Horses & Heroes, will present to fourth- to sixth-graders from 9:30 to 10:25 a.m. Friday, Nov. 10.
• Horizon Elementary, 1701 Greenbrook Blvd., Hanover Park: Day of Honor breakfast and schoolwide assembly from 8:30 a.m. to noon Thursday, Nov. 9. Band, orchestra and chorus will perform a musical tribute to the armed forces. Veterans welcome. Visits to classrooms by veterans as well.
• Huff Elementary, 801 Hastings St., Elgin: From 6 to 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10, there will be a short musical presentation by fifth- and sixth-graders, followed by interactive breakout sessions where students and veterans can interact while enjoying a small reception.
• Kenyon Woods Middle School, 1515 Raymond St., South Elgin: Musical tribute to veterans at 2:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10.
• Kimball Middle School, 451 N. McLean Blvd., Elgin: From 2:25 to 3:25 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10, there will be an assembly featuring Elgin AMVETS Post members and local historian Jerry Turnquist, presenting the colors, discussing the history of our country's flag and the importance that is has played for our veterans and current service members. They will also share the procedures for retiring a tattered flag. Kimball students and staff will also pay tribute to family members who are veterans or are currently in one of the service branches.
• Liberty Elementary, 1375 W. Bartlett Road, Bartlett: Breakfast for family veterans and program from 8:30 to 10 a.m. Friday, Nov. 10.
• Lincoln Elementary, 1650 Maureen Drive, Hoffman Estates: Veterans Day celebration Nov. 6-10
• Parkwood Elementary, 2150 Laurel Ave., Hanover Park: Guest veterans will present an overview of the branches of the military service to Parkwood students. Veterans will also highlight their personal military experiences. The programs will be 11 a.m. to noon and 1 to 2 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 8; 10 to 11 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 9; and 9 to 10 a.m. Friday, Nov. 10.
• Prairieview Elementary, 285 Mayflower Lane, Bartlett: On Friday, Nov. 10, an assembly at 1:15 p.m. featuring the school's Boy and Girl Scouts Color guard, presentation, all school Pledge of Allegiance and national anthem, Veterans Day poems, and a talk from a member of the military services.
• Ronald D. O'Neal Elementary, 510 Franklin Blvd., Elgin: Assembly at 1:15 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10, at Veterans Memorial Park, near the Gail Borden Public Library.
• Spring Trail Elementary School, 1384 Spring Valley Drive, Carol Stream: Veterans Day assembly from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10.
• South Elgin High School, 760 E. Main St., South Elgin: Assembly held outside by the flagpole from 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. Friday, Nov. 10.
• Ontarioville School, 2100 Elm St., Hanover Park: Assembly at 9:30 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 9.