Breaking News Bar
updated: 9/23/2017 5:18 PM

Boys soccer: Glenbard South turns on heat in second half against Willowbrook

Success - Article sent! close

It got hotter as the game went on.

We're talking Glenbard South boys soccer, which came alive in the second half Saturday to beat Willowbrook 2-0 in a nonconference match in Glen Ellyn.

"In pregame I told the guys they're going to be playing in the heat, we're going to manage the game, we're gonna sub frequently, which we had, like, line changes every 10 minutes. And we came out like that was an excuse and came out with a lackluster effort," said Raiders coach Adam Szyszko.

"So you had to give one of those speeches at halftime you don't like giving, where you challenge your effort and challenge your fortitude. We responded, so I'm pleased with that."

At 20 minutes, 31 seconds of the second half Glenbard South (8-4) broke the ice.

Midfielder Matt Moscatello held possession near the right sideline against the Warriors defense, then the ball came to Spencer Pyle in the middle. Drawing attention a mere 5 yards from the goal, Pyle passed to his left where Josh Cohen, all alone, pushed the ball inside the far post. Willowbrook goalkeeper Mario Giase had no chance.

"I happened to be in the right spot and we score," said Cohen, a center back moving up for added pop.

The Raiders scored their second with 9:37 left in the second half, Alec Steiger's header in traffic off Kevin Enright's massive throw-in.

"We started possessing the ball more, and I think that's what triggered the rest of the game," said John McMahon, who credited fellow midfielder Rob Schmieder with bringing energy that led to two sterling chances late in the first half, one requiring a Giase one-handed stop.

Willowbrook (3-9) held possession particularly in the first half, though repeated passes from center-midfielder Miguel Correa to left-mid David Rizzo, marked tightly by Raiders right back Ryan Vozza, never meshed.

"I usually send him those balls, but they weren't really good through-balls," Correa said. "But we're going to keep working, just keep working."

With three minutes left in the second half Willowbrook's Tomas Hernandez sent the ball deep to Efren Gomez, but Glenbard South goalkeeper Cooper Reif punched the ball away. Throughout, Cohen cleared several strong throw-ins by Willowbrook's Patrick Florey.

"I told them both teams have got to play in this weather, it is what it is, and the possession game wasn't as good (as) in the first half, because I was really, really proud of my boys," said Warriors coach Eddie De La Cruz. "They brought that energy, and then unfortunately as soon as that first goal hit their heads kind of ducked down a little bit. We'll see what happens."

Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.