Aug 06 2014 | 5:55 pm
- Middle school students got the chance to handle real, but nonfunctioning, rocket and missile launchers Wednesday during the First Division Museum’s Military Science Rocket Class at Cantigny Park in Wheaton. After learning the history of...
Apr 29 2014 | 8:54 am
- “It’s not about yourself; it’s about helping other people.” With that one sentence, St. James the Apostle fifth-grader Mickey Schihl captured the spirit of the school’s recent Day of Service project in Glen Ellyn.
Feb 13 2014 | 6:43 pm
- Old-fashioned board games have not lost their appeal for a group of senior citizens who meet monthly at the Bloomingdale Public Library to participate in the Senior Games program. Karen Paras said she’s been coming regularly “because...
Jan 31 2014 | 4:21 pm
- When Longfellow Elementary School gym teacher Barb Williams lost her 28-year-old son to a heart attack, she decided to educate her students about the importance of heart health. So in 2006, she brought the American Heart Association's Jump Rope for...
Nov 18 2013 | 4:21 pm
- A very slow-motion ballet is under way above the streets of downtown Wheaton. Terry Armstrong and Anthony Cibella, members of the city's public works department, are using cherry pickers to maneuver in and around more than 100 trees to install...
Nov 15 2013 | 12:14 pm
- A single leaf hanging on the tip of a tree branch can provide a different viewpoint on the change of seasons for area photographers as fall morphs into winter.
Jun 17 2013 | 6:32 am
- Kids plus water plus cameras equal great family pictures. Or, at least it can, if you remember a few simple tips provided by the Daily Herald's staff photographers. Tip No. 1: Unless you have a camera specifically designed to be used around water,...
Apr 22 2013 | 4:52 pm
- Twenty DuPage County schools were recognized in Itasca on Monday for being named to the 2012 Illinois Honor Roll, which celebrates schools showing substantial academic improvement.
Mar 30 2013 | 12:23 am
- Local Christians celebrated Good Friday by taking part in processions and remembering Jesus Christ's crucifixion.
Nov 12 2012 | 4:45 pm
- Fifth-grade students at Gary School in West Chicago modeled themselves as a living history display in honor of Veterans Day. They dressed as historical figures and gave short speeches about them when prompted by their classmates. "We want to teach...