The Daily Herald has earned 32 honors, including the 2017 James S. Copley Award -- a cumulative sweepstakes award for daily newspaper publishing excellence -- from the Northern Illinois Newspaper Association.
The Daily Herald took home 16 first-place awards, eight second-place awards and seven third-place awards.
"We're of course pleased by this tremendous showing in the NINA journalism competition," said Editor John Lampinen. "It's welcome recognition of the efforts our talented staff undertakes every day to serve our readers and the community. I'm so proud to work with such a dedicated team."
The first-place winners are:
• News series: Jake Griffin and staff for "300 Miles from Flint" on suburban water quality issues
• In-depth news story: Chacour Koop for his coverage of former Wheeling Village President Dean Argiris' spending going unchecked
• Spot news story: Elena Ferrarin, Marie Wilson and Jake Griffin for their coverage of the online torture of a young suburban man
• General feature: Marie Wilson and Tim Broderick for "Why So Few Women Are Suburban Mayors"
• Columnist: Burt Constable for his "Suburban Stories"
• Meeting coverage: James Fuller for his investigate work in Kane County government
• Education reporting: Jake Griffin and Erin Hegarty for their in-depth coverage of a controversial 10-year teacher contract for Palatine Elementary District 15
• Technology/medical story: Marie Wilson for "Exciting Times for Cancer Care"
• Multicultural/immigration coverage: Elena Ferrarin and Marni Pyke for their stories on the immigration debate and a family that had sought asylum in a Schaumburg church
• Sports story: John Dietz for "The Greatest Gifts," a look at former Blackhawk Stan Mikita's life through the eyes of his children
• Sports photo: John Starks for his photo of the Chicago Cubs winning the World Series
• Special section: Travis Siebrass and staff for "Portrait of a Championship," celebrating the Cubs 2016 season
• Design: Daily Herald staff
• Headline writing: Don Friske for his sports headlines
• Informational graphic: Tim Broderick on his election analysis
• Business/financial/consumer story: Anna Marie Kukec for "Ownership Turnover at Scale-Tronix"
Second-place winners are:
• Website: staff;
• Watchdog reporting: Jake Griffin
• Spot News: Christopher Placek, Chacour Koop, Eric Peterson for "Family Tragedy as 4 Killed in Crash"
• Editorial: editorial board for editorial commentary on District 15 contract controversy
• Sports Story: Staff for "Blue Heaven," on the Cubs winning the World Series
• Sports columnist: Barry Rozner
• Use of humor: Jim Baumann for his weekly "Grammar Moses" columns
• Headline writing: Neil Holdway
Third-place winners are:
• Watchdog Reporting: Jake Griffin
• Meeting coverage: Robert Sanchez for "Problems with DuPage elections"
• General feature: Dann Gire for "A Life Interrupted"
• Columnist: Jim Davis
• Sports columnist: Mike Imrem
• Feature photo: John Starks
• Video: John Starks