Do you think it'd be alright ...
If it's true people really are the average of who they hang out with the most, members of the Gin Blossoms must have gained a healthy jangle from their country cousins and a dose of pop from their native '80s. Whatever it was that influenced them most, the combo did the Arizona band justice as the Gin Blossoms fit right in as members of the high court of '90s alternative rock. The then-ubiquitous "Hey Jealousy" may have first won fans' hearts, but it was the string of strong follow-up hits that kept fans coming back 25 years later. Band members fete the anniversary of their breakout album "New Miserable Experience" with a show at the Arcada Theatre, joined by DuPage rockers Take the Reins. (Note: Read our recent interview with Take the Reins on dailyherald.com.) Arcada Theatre, 105 E. Main St., St. Charles. $39-$89. (630) 962-7000 or arcadalive.com. 8 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 17
Bury Me acoustic
West suburban Bury Me in Lights just dropped an addictive new five-song EP, "Moments Between." You can hear some of it, as well as many of the band's deeper cuts, when lead singer Robert Biskoski and guitarist Randy Gorecki take the stage at Darien's Miskatonic Brewing Company for an acoustic set. The night also features special guests Jarred Mason (of The Kings Rising) and folk punk from Ruff Ruts. Miskatonic Brewing Company, 1000 N. Frontage Road, Unit C, Darien. (630) 541-9414 or miskatonicbrewing.com. 7 p.m. Friday, Feb. 16
Weasel at Reggies
Ben "Weasel" Foster and his explosive band of merry suburban punk rock music makers Screeching Weasel are taking over two nights at Reggies Rock Club in Chicago. New York punk band CJ Ramone joins for both performances. Reggies Rock Club, 2105 S. State St., Chicago. $32; $65 for VIP which includes early entry and meet-and-greet session. (312) 949-0120 or reggieslive.com. 7 p.m. doors Friday, Feb. 16, and Saturday, Feb. 17
Evolution Music hosts a Saturday showcase of local musicians, featuring Ryan Borens' groovy stylings, upbeat alternative from Drew Neely & the Heroes, punk-infused confections from Paper Towels, the return of Whüzy, Papillon and 3 Below Green. See some fun area musicians in a growing suburban venue. Evolution Music, 923 Curtiss St., Downers Grove. $10. (630) 541-5022 or evolutionmusicstore.com. 6 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 17
Some new music I've been listening to this week:
• "Love," the newest mover by Mike Spinelli's Spinmont, has a rhythm you can't deny. Sitting at my desk, I couldn't help wanting to get up and dance. Yeah, that would be weird. But I still wanted to. Check it out on Spotify.
• Northwest suburban pop-punk band Cup Check introduced the world to its newest tracks on last week's EP "Continuity" (now streaming on Spotify and BandCamp). Check out the video for "It's a Beautiful Day to Save Lives" before catching the band at Cobra Lounge Saturday, Feb. 17, with City Mouth, Out the Car Window and The Flips.
• P.O.D., Islander, DED: 7 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 14, at Rochaus, 98 W. Main St., West Dundee. $20-$38. (815) 893-9768 or rochaus.com.
• The Sea The Sea, Minor Moon: 9 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 14, at The Hideout, 1354 W. Wabansia Ave., Chicago. $10. (773) 227-4433 or hideoutchicago.com.
• The Orphan, the Poet, Friday Pilots Club, The Burst and Bloom, Better Love: 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 15, at Cobra Lounge, 235 N. Ashland Ave., Chicago. $10-$12. (312) 226-6300 or cobralounge.com.
• Dunn Dunn Fest: 8 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 15; 6:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 16; and 6:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 17, at FitzGerald's, 6615 Roosevelt Road, Berwyn. $15 for Thursday, $20 each for Friday and Saturday; $40 three-day passes are available. (708) 788-2118 or dunndunnfest.com.
• Dylan Hankey & Brian Hoyt: 8 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 15, at Cubby Bear, 1059 W. Addison St., Chicago. Free. (773) 327-1662 or cubbybear.com.
• Veil of Maya, Speaking with Ghosts, Tanzen, VCTMS, Ryno: 6:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 16, at Bottom Lounge, 1375 W. Lake St., Chicago. $12. (312) 666-6775 or bottomlounge.com.
• Portugal. The Man, Twin Peaks: 7:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 16, at Aragon Ballroom, 1106 W. Lawrence Ave., Chicago. Tickets start at $66. (773) 561-9500 or aragonballroom.org.
• Dead Freddie: 9 p.m. Friday, Feb. 16, at Cigars & Stripes, 6715 Ogden Ave., Berwyn. (708) 484-1043 or stripesbbq.com.
• Grain of Sand, Discoverer, Summer Salt: 8 p.m. Friday, Feb. 16, at Elbo Room, 2871 N. Lincoln Ave., Chicago. $9-$10. (773) 549-5549 or elboroomlive.com.
• Lauv, Jeremy Zucker: 8 p.m. Friday, Feb. 16, at Lincoln Hall, 2424 N. Lincoln Ave., Chicago. $15-$18. (773) 525-2501 or lh-st.com.
• Boy Band Review at Austin's Fuel Room: 9 p.m. Friday, Feb. 16, at Austin's Saloon & Eatery, 481 Peterson Road, Libertyville. $8. (847) 549-1972 or fuelroom.com.
• Stay Up All Night & Fight, Dead By Friday, The First Rule, Size 5's, Dead Wolf, Acyuta: 6 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 17, at Cracken Cakes & more, 38594 Sheridan Road, Beach Park. $5. (847)-603-4966 or crackencakes.com.
• The Locals, Red Moons, Aaron Williams: 7 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 17, at Subterranean Downstairs, 2011 W. North Ave., Chicago. $10. (773) 278-6600 or subt.net.
• City Mouth, Out the Car Window, Cup Check, Short Handed, The Flips: 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 17, at Cobra Lounge, 235 N. Ashland Ave., Chicago. $5-$8. (312) 226-6300 or cobralounge.com.
• Trippin Billies: 8 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 17, at BaseCamp Pub, 5750 Lakeside Drive, Lisle. $5-$10. (331) 777-4712 or basecamppub.com.
• Turnspit (LP release), Retirement Party, Blood People, Third Twin Sister: 8:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 17, at Gman Tavern, 3740 N. Clark St., Chicago. $8-$10. (773) 549-2050 or gmantavern.com.
• An acoustic evening with The Cold Mourning, Killing gods, Bubbles Erotica, The Hoodie Life: 8:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 17, at Bottom Lounge, 1375 W. Lake St., Chicago. $8. (312) 666-6775 or bottomlounge.com.
• Blinkin Park featuring Linkin Experience and There Goes the Neighborhood: 9 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 17, at H.O.M.E. Bar, 1227 E. Rand Road, Arlington Heights. $5. (847) 749-0253 or homebarchicago.com.
• Three Piece and a Biscuit, The Kings Rising: 9 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 17, at Tivoli Bowl, 938 Warren Ave., Downers Grove. Free. (630) 969-0660 or tivolibowl.com.
• Whiskey Romance: 9 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 17, at BrauerHouse, 1000 N. Rohlwing Road, Lombard. $8-$10. (630) 495-2141 or brauerhouse.com.
• Big Bad Voodoo Daddy: 7 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 18, at Old Town School of Folk Music, 4544 N. Lincoln Ave., Chicago. $43-$45. (773) 728-6000 or oldtownschool.org.
• Emanation XVI featuring Brash Flair, Weirdos, Akosuen: 9 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 18, at Century Mallet, 1770 W. Berteau Ave., Chicago. $5-$10 suggested donation. (773) 248-7733 or centurymallet.com.
• Taylor Phelan, Like Language, The Burst and Bloom: 9 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 22, at Beat Kitchen, 2100 W. Belmont Ave., Chicago. $10. (773) 281-4444 or beatkitchen.com.
Brian Shamie is a Daily Herald multiplatform editor. You can follow him on Twitter at @BShamieDH. Listen to Brian's "2018 Chicago Sound Check vol. 1" Spotify playlist for a sampling of many of the local bands he's written about for the Daily Herald recently.