Lydia Loveless and the boys
Lydia Loveless' October release, "Boy Crazy and Single(s)" is a collection of her five-song EP "Boy Crazy" plus six singles released through her punk-colored country career. She brings stripped-down solo versions of this album's songs, with others from her edgy catalog, when she plays two consecutive nights at The Hideout with Sports Boyfriend, Chicago goth-pop rocker Eileen Peltier. The Hideout, 1354 W. Wabansia, Chicago. $20. (773) 227-4433 or hideoutchicago.com. 9 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday, Nov. 15-16
Blacklist Regulars at Penny Road
Chicago's Blacklist Regulars has been making waves with their recent video releases, and their latest, "War," is no exception. The video, the first of a live three-part studio session, showcases the band's hard-rock chops and frontman Luke Keating's vocal melodies and emotive growls. Start your weekend on a heavy note when they headline the main stage at Penny Road Pub with Burned, After Forever and Rough Draft. Penny Road Pub, 545 Penny Road, Barrington. $8. (847) 428-0562 or pennyroadpub.com. 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10
Lisle rock duo SKYD -- Skyler and Derek -- recently released their album "All You Get," a driving and catchy collection of fuzzed-out, industrial-influenced, groove-based tracks perfect for a night-out soundtrack. SKYD celebrates the release at Lombard's BrauerHouse Friday, joined by friends She Rides Tigers and China Rose. BrauerHouse, 1000 N. Rohlwing Road, Lombard. $5-$7. (630) 495-2141 or brauerhouse.com. 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10
Dust. Wind. Dude.
Progressive rock's Kansas, the artists behind hits such as "Carry On Wayward Sun" and "Dust in the Wind," show why they're influential legends when they play Waukegan's Genesee Theatre this weekend, 203 N. Genesee St., Waukegan. $45-$95. (847) 263-6300 or geneseetheatre.com. 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10
One direction to Rosemont
While boy band One Direction enjoys an extended hiatus, singer Niall Horan signed into a solo contract with Capitol Records. He's coming to the Chicago area in support of his latest album, "Flicker," inspired by classic rock and folk acts. Catch the local stop of his worldwide "Flicker Sessions Tour" in Rosemont midweek. Rosemont Theatre, 5400 N. River Road, Rosemont. Limited tickets available starting at $60. (847) 671-5100 or ticketmaster.com. 8 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 15
Head over to Spotify for access to "2017 Chicago Sound Check," a playlist of many of the suburban and Chicago musicians I've seen, met or written about for the Daily Herald this year. Give it a listen and revisit an old favorite or find a new band to love.
• Krewella: 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10, at Aragon Ballroom, 1106 W. Lawrence Ave., Chicago. Tickets start at $47. (773) 561-9500 or aragonballroom.org.
• BambiRaptor, Revolt Coda, Bubbles Erotica, Toy Robots: 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10, at Cubby Bear, 1059 W. Addison St., Chicago. $7-$10. (773) 327-1662 or cubbybear.com.
• Fools' Brew, Lowcountry, Your Last Change, Goodbye Old Friend, Deville: 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10, at Baderbräu, 2515 S. Wabash Ave., Chicago. $10. (312) 890-2728 or baderbrau.com.
• Sponge, 13 Angels, 80 Proof Preacher, The Dead Hands: 9 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10, at BrauerHouse Live, 1000 N. Rohlwing Road, Lombard. $12-$15. (630) 495-2141 or brauerhouse.com.
• Fredo Disco, Broken Holmes, Samantha Fuller with Cameron Box, Adolescent Apathy, The Magnifiers, Leave It To Chance: 6 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11, at Evolution Music, 923 Curtiss St., Downers Grove. $10. (630) 541-5022
• The 27 Club (tribute to Kurt Cobain, Amy Winehouse, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin): 6 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11, at BaseCamp Pub, 5750 Lakeside Drive, Lisle. $10-$15. (331) 777-4712 or basecamppub.com.
• Turnpike Troubadors, Charley Crockett: 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11, at Vic Theatre, 3145 N. Sheffield Ave., Chicago. $28. (773) 472-0449 or victheatre.com.
• Aaron Kamm and the One Drops, Concrete Roots: 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11, at Cubby Bear, 1059 W. Addison St., Chicago. $7-$10. (773) 327-1662 or cubbybear.com.
• Downers Groove: 9 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11, at Mullen's, 3080 Warrenville Road, Lisle. Free. (630) 505-0240 or mullensbarandgrill.com.
• Talk to you Never, The Homecoming, Everyone Says, Bad Planning, California Killers: 5 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 12, at Bottom Lounge, 1375 W. Lake St., Chicago. $10. (312) 666-6775 or bottomlounge.com.
• Austin John Winkler, Shallow Side, Remada: 7 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 12, at Penny Road Pub, 545 Penny Road, Barrington. $23. (847) 428-0562 or pennyroadpub.com.
• Bleachers, Bishop Briggs, Amy Shark: 7 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 12, at Vic Theatre, 3145 N. Sheffield Ave., Chicago. $31-$41. (773) 472-0449 or victheatre.com.
• Blitzen Trapper, Lilly Hiatt: 8 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 12, at Lincoln Hall, 2424 N. Lincoln Ave., Chicago. $20-$25. (773) 525-2501 or lh-st.com.
• Columbia College Takeover, featuring Caving, Stratford, Summerbruise, Burly Gates and Friday Pilots Club: 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 15, at East Room, 2354 N. Milwaukee Ave., Chicago. (773) 698-8774 or eastroomchicago.com.
• Hoodie Allen, Luke Christopher: 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 16, at Vic Theatre, 3145 N. Sheffield Ave., Chicago. $30. (773) 472-0449 or victheatre.com.
• Dashboard Confessional: 8 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 16, at H.O.M.E. Bar, 1227 E. Rand Road, Arlington Heights. Free. (847) 749-0253 or homebarchicago.com.
• Aqueous, The North 41: 9 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 16, at Lincoln Hall, 2424 N. Lincoln Ave., Chicago. $15-$17. (773) 525-2501 or lh-st.com.
• Brian Shamie is a Daily Herald multiplatform editor. You can follow him on Twitter at @BShamieDH.