Communities » Wood Dale Area News
FootGolf latest craze to hit suburban linksA new combination of golf and soccer -- called FootGolf -- is popping up at suburban golf courses as managers look to get more use of their facilities and attract new players. “It follows 99 percent of the rules of golf but instead of having a club and a little ball and many struggles, it’s just kicking the ball forward and aiming toward a 21-inch cup,” said Carols Stremi, founder of the Illinois FootGolf Association.Last Updated Oct 18, 2014 7:38 AM
GOP puts big money into 5 suburban racesUpdated Oct 17, 2014 11:00 AM
The election is 20 days away, and voters can start voting early in person next week, so the tallies of campaign spending released this week can give clues to where in the suburbs the toughest battles for seats in Springfield are being waged. Here are five races in the suburbs with some of the biggest fundraising.
Doing enough on O’Hare noise? DuPage board candidates debatePosted Oct 14, 2014 5:30 AM
Last month, DuPage County Board candidate Rolly Waller blasted his opponent, Paul Fichtner, and the county board for doing nothing to address airplane noise from O’Hare International Airport. Now, Waller is criticizing the board’s attempt to do something. "They should have done something several months ago,” Waller said. “Shame on him for making this a political issue,” Fichtner said.
Wood Dale Calendar
Recently shared by others
- COD, Easter Seals celebrate 15-year photo collaboration
- McAninch Arts Center receives LEED certification
- Our HOMe Improvement Donates Carpeting to Clearbrook
- Forgotten Chicagoans rediscovered; 8,000 names identified in Chicago cemetery records
- COD Instructor Receives Prestigious Award
- COD Concealed Carry Class Nov. 8
- “Run, Walk & Roll” Oct. 26 to benefit Marklund
- York Theatre Presents FREE Screening of “Mr. Peabody & Sherman”
- Lynfred Winery Commemorates 35th Anniversary with Grandiose and Unique Month-Long Celebration
- Tivoli Theatre Presents FREE Showing of “Casper” October 25
- Garrett Ard and Lisa Dawn Foertsch rehearse for Wheaton Drama's special Broadway musical revue, "Broadway Ballot". Performances are Aug. 17-19 at Playhouse 111. Tickets and information at http://www.wheatondrama.org Steven Merkel
Wayne Stayskal (right), retired Tribune Media editorial cartoonist, explains some of the finer points of his work to guests when Windsor Park, a Covenant Retirement Community at 124 Windsor Park Drive in Carol Stream, hosted a retrospective exhibit of his syndicated work. About 75 people attended the artist’s reception Aug. 20, including Stayskal’s wife Helen (center) and son Bob (left). The show is open to the public daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. until Sept. 30.
To see a video interview and catch a glimpse of the engaging personality who humorously commentated on culture for more than 30 years visit www.WindsorParkIllinois.org/downloads-news. For details, call Windsor Park at (630) 510-5500. Shirley Mott
- Some of the 80-plus attendees at the June 27 combined Chambers of Commerce luncheon meeting with Comptroller Judy Baar Topinka, held in Addison on June 27
- Mama bird near her nest at Songbird Slough. Ellen Hart
- Tim Koll as the title role of Joseph, and Julia Macholl as the Narrator in Theatre Nebula's "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" in its final 2 weeks at Cutting Hall in Palatine, September 20-29, 2013. Cutting Hall- Michael P. Noens
Fluid Running is making its way from Oak Brook Park District to Juneau, Alaska
Linda Kruger (right) of Juneau, Alaska is working on her Fluid Running certification with Founder Jennifer Conroyd (left) at the Oak Brook Park District's Family Aquatic Center, 1450 Forest Gate Road. Linda will be among the first certified Fluid Running instructors in the United States. Thank you Linda for helping The Oak Brook Park District and Fluid Running spread the benefits of this wonderful fitness and wellness opportunity across the country! Jessica Cannaday
- Mimi shows her catch at the Oakbrook Terrace/NEDSRA fishing derby held this past Sunday at Terrace View Park Lake. Mimi won an award for most fish caught. Bruce Flowers
Many of the veterans shown who reside at Windsor Park, a Covenant Retirement Community in Carol Stream, will have their service photo and other memorabilia on display in the community's Centrum beginning Friday, Nov. 8. Intended to honor all veterans, the show is open to the public daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. until Nov. 15. Windsor Park is located at 124 Windsor Park Drive. Captain Richard Blackburn, first row center, holds a book of his memoirs. He received the French Legion of Honor for valor in one of the main campaigns during WW II in France. Visitors can also view a world map with pushpins designating where each veteran served. Windsor Park residents plan this display each year. Those involved in 2013 are Harman Barnard, Ray Smith, Charlie Ochs, Ralph Weldon, Bill Anderson, Stan Johnson, and Herb Clausen.
For more information, call Windsor Park at (630) 510-5500.
Those pictured (left to right) are:
First row: John Weber, Henry Nelson, Jim McLuskie, Roy Comstock, Clarence Aronson, Eunice Blackburn, Richard Blackburn, Ray Smith, Matt Leonard, Warren Larson, Eugene Young, Donald White, Robert Baptista.
Second row: Bob Muzzy, Howard Headley, Reg Gerig, Len Buck, Dick Rung, Robert Fox, Check Lewis, Clayton Barker, Howard Morey, Wallace Alcorn, Charles Ochs, Stan Yohe, Edward Ayers, Dick Gerig, Jason Johnson, Wayne Cook.
Third row: Bob Doenges, Bill Anderson, David Blomberg, Jim Carr, Bill Taetzsch, Ralph Welton, Stan Johnson, Glenn Heck, George Saunders. Jim Steere
- Illinois Comptroller Judy Judy Baar Topinka and state Rep. Kathleen Willis at June 27 Chamber Luncheon Meeting in Addison
- Illinois Comptroller Judy Baar Topinka as she addresses the members of the Addison, Carol Stream, Roselle, Villa Park and Wood Dale Chambers of Commerce
- Judy Baar Topinka and state Rep. Dennis Reboletti at June 27 Chamber Luncheon Meeting in Addison
- Jose Moreno takes a shot in front of John Thompson Center during a wheelchair basketball exhibition during ADA week. The Jr.Bulls come from NEDSRA located in Addison. Jeena Greenwalt
- Ray Strzewski and Kara Altman enjoy dancing at the Itasca Country Club on Friday. Bruce Flowers
- West Chicago elected officials and staff, Old Time Pottery executives and representatives of the Western DuPage Chamber of Commerce cut the ceremonial ribbon at a daylong celebration which welcomes the retailer to their new home at the northwest corner of Illinois 59 & 64. Rosemary Mackey
- Top:Kelley Murphy, Saanvi Gupte, Nicki Spangler, Jenna Rajewski Bottom:Emily O'Hara,Michele Gurrieri at Studio during Rehearsal. Kelly O'Hara
- Jeena Greenwalt(l), Director of NEDSRA, and Nora Sandoval, also from NEDSRA, salsa the afternoon away at the Hispanic Families of NEDSRA Summer Fiesta this past weekend. Bruce Flowers
- Veterans and their families were honored with a breakfast buffet at Salt Creek Golf Club on November 9, 2013. Ellen Hart
Wine Tasting Banishes Cabin Fever For Record Crowd
Barry and Mary Ellen Masek of Park Ridge enjoy swirling and sipping one of 60 wines at Clearbrook’s 50th annual A Grapevine of Friends Wine Tasting. More than 450 people attended the wine extravaganza. Chicago Corporate Photography
- Joe Buttice, past commander of Tioga VFW Post 2149 in Wood Dale gives words of praise and inspiration at the Veteran's Day celebration on November 9, 2013. Ellen Hart
Bob Smith DuPage County Editor
Charles Keeshan Deputy City Editor
Christie Willhite Assistant City Editor
Orrin Schwarz DuPage County High School Sports Coordinator and Pro Sports Writer
Scott Sanders DuPage County Photo Editor
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
Daily Herald Communities
- Working Together to Make Life Better
- 41.963062, -87.978347
- DuPage County