Communities » Oak Brook Area News
Glen Ellyn woman pleads guilty to attempt disorderly conductA Glen Ellyn resident has pleaded guilty to attempted disorderly conduct for filing a false complaint with the Oak Brook Police Department, officials said Monday.Last Updated Feb 24, 2015 10:52 PM
Oak Brook Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Fashion show raises money to send Choral-Aires to competition
- Illinois Gun Owner Lobby Day Wednesday, March 18, 2015
- The Birches hosts “Navigating Healthcare Decisions: Charting the Course”
- Breaking the Code
- Oak Brook-based IMRF launches new website, corporate brand
- “The New Jim Crow” author to visit Benedictine April 21
- The Birches hosts dementia educational series for caregivers
- College of DuPage Hosts ‘A Continent of Ideas:
- College of DuPage Hosts Learning Communities Open House on March 9
- COD Wins American Culinary Federation Illinois State Competition
- Popular safari guide, photographer and lecturer Richard Field will tell about "Life on Safari: An Introduction to Authentic Africa" in a lecture/slide show Wednesday, April 9, at the Oak Brook Park District Rec Center, 1450 Forest Gate Road, Oak Brook. This 7 to 9 p.m. event is free and open to the public. For more information, call 630-303-4787. Rebecca Field
- Sentimental summer gathering of sorority sisters enjoys lunch at Blackfinn. Alumnae members of Northwest Suburban Alumnae Club plan philanthropic events and social gatherings. Since 1961, Alpha Gam women have shared a common goal to contribute to the world's work in their community. Front row L to R: Bonnie Everhard, Barbara Benson, Nancy Clauser, Sandra Enright. Back row L to R : Pat Smith, Mary Herther, Barbara Willmarth, Kay Bradley, Louann Lawson, Reta Holmgren, Cherrie Wickstrom, Sue Rogers. Pat Smith, Alpha Gamma Delta Publicity Chair
- While on a day hike at a local lake, we came across this wonderful scene. In the hustle and bustle of the Chicagoland area, it's a rare occasion that you experience such stillness and explosion of color. In the end, it truly was a perfect day on the lake. Jennifer Albers
- The Village of Lombard celebrates Arbor Day with the planting of an Ivory Silk Japanese Lilac tree in honor of the late Village President William J. Mueller. Attending the ceremony was the Mueller Family and St. Pius X students and their families. Village of Lombard
- Brookfield, IL flooding Bill Biederman
- Barrington High School Gymnast, Danny Schnura places 1st in All-Around at Friday's Freshman Invitational in Hinsdale. Eleven schools competed and Barrington High School finished 4th for overall team. Go Broncos! T. Lauderdale
Fluid Running is making its way from Oak Brook Park District to Juneau, Alaska
Linda Kruger (right) of Juneau, Alaska is working on her Fluid Running certification with Founder Jennifer Conroyd (left) at the Oak Brook Park District's Family Aquatic Center, 1450 Forest Gate Road. Linda will be among the first certified Fluid Running instructors in the United States. Thank you Linda for helping The Oak Brook Park District and Fluid Running spread the benefits of this wonderful fitness and wellness opportunity across the country! Jessica Cannaday
- Mimi shows her catch at the Oakbrook Terrace/NEDSRA fishing derby held this past Sunday at Terrace View Park Lake. Mimi won an award for most fish caught. Bruce Flowers
Many of the veterans shown who reside at Windsor Park, a Covenant Retirement Community in Carol Stream, will have their service photo and other memorabilia on display in the community's Centrum beginning Friday, Nov. 8. Intended to honor all veterans, the show is open to the public daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. until Nov. 15. Windsor Park is located at 124 Windsor Park Drive. Captain Richard Blackburn, first row center, holds a book of his memoirs. He received the French Legion of Honor for valor in one of the main campaigns during WW II in France. Visitors can also view a world map with pushpins designating where each veteran served. Windsor Park residents plan this display each year. Those involved in 2013 are Harman Barnard, Ray Smith, Charlie Ochs, Ralph Weldon, Bill Anderson, Stan Johnson, and Herb Clausen.
For more information, call Windsor Park at (630) 510-5500.
Those pictured (left to right) are:
First row: John Weber, Henry Nelson, Jim McLuskie, Roy Comstock, Clarence Aronson, Eunice Blackburn, Richard Blackburn, Ray Smith, Matt Leonard, Warren Larson, Eugene Young, Donald White, Robert Baptista.
Second row: Bob Muzzy, Howard Headley, Reg Gerig, Len Buck, Dick Rung, Robert Fox, Check Lewis, Clayton Barker, Howard Morey, Wallace Alcorn, Charles Ochs, Stan Yohe, Edward Ayers, Dick Gerig, Jason Johnson, Wayne Cook.
Third row: Bob Doenges, Bill Anderson, David Blomberg, Jim Carr, Bill Taetzsch, Ralph Welton, Stan Johnson, Glenn Heck, George Saunders. Jim Steere
- More than 20 dance groups, including 13 different ethnic dance groups, will participate in this year’s third annual 2014 World Dance Day. The event is scheduled for 3 p.m. Sunday, April 27, at the Auditorium at Northeastern Illinois University, 5500 N. St. Louis Ave., Chicago. Tickets for 2014 World Dance Day are $20 for adults and $10 for seniors, children and students with identification and are available at the door or by calling 773-463-1619. Chicago Music and Dance International
NEDSRA Talent Show! March 21-22
NEDSRA Actors & Actresses Bruce Flowers
NEDSRA Theater Show! March 21-22
NEDSRA Actors & Actresses Bruce Flowers
- Oak Brook Women's Club 4-29-14 Fundraiser, Fashion Show and Luncheon. Jeff Award winning singer Angela Ingersoll will entertain us during our fashion show. unknown
- Hinsdale’s Mark Joy returns a shot from Highland Park's David Borovikov during the championship match at last weekend's USTA 12-and-under tennis tournament held at Midtown Athletic Club in Bannockburn. After a weekend filed with plenty of victories, Joy would eventually fall 6-1, 6-3 but earned his place boys singles runner-up. Dave Silbar/SilbarPR
Wine Tasting Banishes Cabin Fever For Record Crowd
Barry and Mary Ellen Masek of Park Ridge enjoy swirling and sipping one of 60 wines at Clearbrook’s 50th annual A Grapevine of Friends Wine Tasting. More than 450 people attended the wine extravaganza. Chicago Corporate Photography
Members of the Zonta Club of Oak Brook recently assisted "Poised for Success" in Lombard during its monthly clothing drop-off day April 13. Pictured are Lombard resident Kathy Raker on the left and Kay Van Vreede from Clarendon Hills. Poised for
Success promotes economic self-sufficiency for women, especially those re-entering the workforce,by providing contemporary career clothing. The Zonta Club of Oak Brook, as a member of Zonta International, advances the status of women through service and advocacy. Susan Barton
The Zonta Club of Oak Brook recently installed a slate of officers who will serve for the next two years. Pictured from left to right are: President Anna Weselak; Anne Marie Rosen, Board Director; Kay Van Vreede, Vice President; Peggy McGinnis, Treasurer; Kathleen Ray, Secretary and Susan Barton, Board Director. All are residents of the western suburbs. The installation ceremony took place at the Dupage Club in Oakbrook Terrace at the May meeting of the club and was officiated by Brandy Harrington, Area 1 Director.
The Zonta Club of Oak Brook is one of over 1200 clubs, with a worldwide membership of over 30,000. Founded in 1919, Zonta International, headquartered in Oak Brook, is a global organization of executives and professionals working together to advance the status of women worldwide through service and advocacy. Funds raised by local clubs not only support local agencies for women but also support international projects designed to promote the status of women in the areas of health and well-being, education and self-sufficiency. More information can be found at http://www.zonta.org.
The Zonta Club of Oak Brook meets monthly, usually on the 3rd Tuesday of the month with a dinner program. Persons interested in finding out more about the club or attending a meeting are urged to contact Anna Weselak at AWeselak@weselak.com. Susan Barton
Bob Smith DuPage County Editor
Christie Willhite Assistant City Editor
Orrin Schwarz DuPage County High School Sports Coordinator and Pro Sports Writer
Scott Sanders DuPage County Photo Editor
More Oak Brook News
- Oak Brook Discussion
- Endorsement: Lalmalani for Oak Brook village president
- Endorsements: Yusuf, Manzo, Tiesenga for Oak Brook board
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Downers Grove North High School
- 4436 Main St.
Downers Grove, Il 60515
- Hinsdale Central High School
- 55th & Grant St.
Hinsdale, Il 60521
- Red Devils
- Hinsdale South High School
- 7401 Clarendon Hills Rd.
Darien, Il 60561
Daily Herald Communities
- 60521, 60522, 60523, 60561
- 41.84018, -87.953079
- DuPage County