Communities » McHenry Area News
MCC wins grant for information literacy projectA $50,000 grant is helping McHenry County College figure out where the information literacy gaps are for high school students in the county. The money, awarded by the Laura Bush 21st Century Librarians Program, will help MCC gather research about how well students locate, evaluate and effectively use information — skills that have become increasingly important in the digital age when so much is available online.Last Updated Jun 19, 2013 6:50 PM
McHenry Co. ‘most wanted’ fugitive arrestedUpdated Jun 15, 2013 10:45 AM
A Crystal Lake man wanted in connection with a Chicago bank robbery and listed as one of McHenry County Sheriff Office’s top 10 fugitives was arrested this week in McHenry.
Bullying movie, forum Saturday in PalatineUpdated Jun 19, 2013 1:19 PM
A panel of experts will discuss how to address the nation’s bullying epidemic after a screening of the documentary movie “Bully” at 1 p.m. Saturday, June 22, at Cutting Hall Performing Arts Center, 150 E. Wood St., Palatine.
McHenry suspect’s death ends old murder-for-hire caseUpdated Jun 14, 2013 11:02 AM
A McHenry man accused of hiring a hit man to kill his son has died, ending a case that began in 2007. William G. Gersch was to appear for a fitness hearing Thursday before McHenry County Judge Robert Wilbrandt. However, defense attorney Matthew Haiduk presented the judge Gersch’s death certificate. Haiduk says the 64-year-old Gersch suffered a stroke in May and died shortly after.
Recently shared by others
- Old Time Pottery Schedules Grand Opening for West Chicago Store
- ComEd Offers Customers Once-in-a-Lifetime Experiences in “Coolest Summer Ever” Promotion
- neXt Gallery Celebrates Ēkwabet’s 25th Birthday – Presents Native AmericanStorytelling
- Consider St. Bede School For The Fall
- One Truck, One Goal: Charity fundraiser at Schaumburg Boomers seeks to fill semi truck with sports gear for kids in need.
- Harper College to celebrate success at GED graduation ceremony
- Why Prairies Developed in North America
- Life Insurance 101
- Faith Lutheran Church hosts international and highly acclaimed Tim Zimmerman and the King's Brass in Concert
- Digital Photography Flower and Garden Workshop
- Not your usual Shakespeare, Wheaton Drama's production of "Romeo & Juliet" brings a current New Orleans setting and exciting stage combat to the famous play. In this press shot, the Capulet/Montague feud gets personal for Tybalt (Eric Waddick)and Benvolia (Lynda Wellhausen). Show information and tickets at http://www.wheatondrama.org Steven Merkel
- Guest speaker J.J. O'Connor, center, chats with PAL/Clearbrook supporters at the 16th annual PAL fundraiser. Clearbrook
- 'Mr. Crystal Lake', Bob Blazier on drums performs to sold out crowd on May 11 with his band the Dow Jones and the Industrials at 'the Listening Room' at Lakeside Legacy Foundation in Crystal LakeL. Patricia Bell of Lakeside Legacy Foundation
- Christian Liberty Academy team praying before the game Eileen Glad
Christian Liberty Academy placed 3rd in Division A at the Illinois Junior Academy of Sciences
Christian Liberty Academy Illinois Junior Academy of Sciences Winners.
GOLD: Andrew Keyser, Leo Rule, Simon Su, Tommy Lowry, Jesse Castro, Abigail Herman, Claudia Mastella, Jonah Bouvier, Sarah Ampalloor, Elisa Paul.
SILVER: Michael Sullivan, Ricky Weerts, Matthew Schuster, Maya Samuel, Sheryl Sabu, Olivia Morrison
BRONZE: Rachel Gafrick, Akhilesh Nair
BEST IN CATEGORY (Chemistry): Andrew Keyser
IJAS Semi Finalist Nominee & Broadcom Masters Nominee: Leo Rule
Broadcam Masters Nominee: Simon Su & Tommy Lowry
Best Project in Optics Related Technology - Optical Society of Chicago: Jesse Castro Bob Stack
- Children at Messiah Lutheran Preschool & Kindergarten in Wauconda collected 147 items to help stock the shelves of the Wauconda/Island Lake Food Pantry. MLPK
- Emery Moorhead from the 85 Chicago Bears (second from right) spins the roulette wheel for Clearbrook at their Spring Casino Night held on March 2 in Palatine. Moorehead was one of five former NFL players who volunteered at Clearbrooks Spring Casino Night. Clearbrook
Gather Your Girlfriends for Martinis, Massages, and More: No kids. No men. Just women, wine, and golf.
From left, Bonnie Newman, Carolyn Szaflik, Lori Runquist, and Tracy Baron show off their creative ensembles that won them "Best Dressed Foursome" at last year's Clearbrook Women's Classic Golf Outing. Colleen Gallagher
- Supporters of JOURNEYS | The Road Home came out to participate in the 1st ever SUPERHERO 5K! Participants raised money for JOURNEYS' supportive services for those who are homeless and at risk of becoming homeless in suburban Cook County. Thank you to everyone who came out to be a hero for the homeless! JOURNEYS | The Road Home
- Miller in the leaves Danny Treptow
Picture of newly crowned Ms. Wheelchair, Illinois
Danielle Austin. She will be making her inaugural appearance at the EHLS Open House April 24 at 210 W Campus Drive, Suite B, Arlington Heights, and will be signing autographs and answering questions. Danielle Austin
- bottom row: Sean Naughton, Jack Housinger, Mason Schaller, Charley Dir, Ryan Patel; middle row: Colin Biesterfeld, Jeff Morton, Jeff Bikus, Austin Ehren, Ethan Ekstrom, Drew Breitenreiter; top row: Coaches Bruce Dir, John Bikus, Terry Biesterfeld, Donn Breitenreiter, Millie Naughton
- Spirit Ringers, from left, back row: Tyler Greene, Chad Juergensen, Kira Frendreis, Kurtis Arndt, Devin Turk, Zach Ott; and front row: Aliz Rhode, Amanda Juergensen, Bailey Greene, Zoe Dowell, Grace Boster, Madison Szekely, Casey Rhode. The Spirit Ringers from Shepherd of the Prairie Lutheran Church performed to a nearly full church along with Organist Michael Waal at First Presbyterian Church, Elgin. Sunday's concert was offered as part of the Phyllis A. Lange-Connelly Memorial Lenten Recital Series, now in its 19 year. The Spirit Ringers are comprised of 13 students from Huntley, Crystal Lake South, and Jacobs high schools. Under the direction of Music and Worship director Jane McMullen, the group has been playing together practicing weekly and playing several times a year during worship services at Shepherd of the Prairie. In July 2012, the group attended the Handbell Musicians of Americas National Seminar in Cincinnati, Ohio where they took part in the Distinctly Teen portion and participated in an ensemble of more than 300 handbell musicians ringing the national anthem for a Cincinnati Reds game at the Great American Ballpark. Amazing people as well as gifted musicians, many of these students are active in additional music programs, including choirs, bands, and private music instruction Sheri Ott (one of the mothers sent the picture)
- Dr. Ulwyn Pierre, the global radio talk show host of Leadership Success and You to speak at June 7 Small Business Success in Lake County event. Register at www.SmallBusinessSuccessinLakeCounty.com SBDC
- Dancers from Haper College Dance and Pom team and from Summers Academy of Dance in Crystal Lake, helped instruct mini-routines and hosted fun free-style dancing on Feb. 15th for tweens ages 10-14. The next Hip Hop Explosion is on March 15th for $6. Janet Kay of from me 2 you photography
- I was just trying to capture a sweet picture using the light from outside of my baby boy on his 3 month birthday, and my kitty was sleeping in her bed. She just happened to wake up when I was snapping pictures. It was so cute, they looked at eachother for a few minutes. Jamie Starzyk
- A beautiful sunrise in 2012 Stephani Schweda-Jerard
Getting ready for the winter season Keith Duck
- Members of the Friends of Clearbrook Committee take a break between flights of wine to pose at Clearbrooks 49th Annual A Grapevine of Friends Wine Tasting that took place on February 23, 2013 at the Chicago Marriott Schaumburg. The event drew nearly 400 people. Chicago Corporate Photography