Communities » Lindenhurst Area News
CPA takes on 2-term incumbent for Round Lake-area county board seatCandidates for the Lake County Board’s 16th district seat agree taxes are on voters’ minds, but they suggest different approaches to deal with them.Last Updated Sep 26, 2016 4:59 PM
Community colleges say they’re forced to rely more on federal grantsUpdated Sep 26, 2016 4:27 PM
Elgin Community College President David Sam says with state funding for higher education in a flux, community colleges are relying more on federal grants than ever before.
Dold slams Iran nuke deal, Schneider says enforce itPosted Sep 26, 2016 5:30 AM
Republican U.S. Rep. Bob Dold calls the United States’ nuclear agreement with Iran “a historic mistake.” His Democratic challenger, Brad Schneider, doesn’t like the deal either but says it must be enforced.
Lake County celebrates its rural roots at Farm Heritage FestivalUpdated Sep 26, 2016 12:18 PM
Lake County celebrates its rural roots this weekend during the 24th annual Farm Heritage Festival at Lakewood Forest Preserve near Wauconda.
Grand Avenue to close in Lake VillaUpdated Sep 23, 2016 5:46 PM
Grand Avenue (Route 132) will be fully closed at the Canadian National Railroad in Lake Villa, for a week, weather permitting, beginning Monday, Sept. 26 to repair the grade crossing.
Libertyville mosque open house will answer your questionsPosted Sep 23, 2016 5:30 AM
Islamic Foundation North in Libertyville is hosting a mosque open house to share information and answer questions
Drug disposal kiosks openedUpdated Sep 21, 2016 5:53 PM
Local and elected leaders on Wednesday joined Walgreens to launch a program to fight prescription drug abuse in Lake County.
Judge agrees to do-over for Gliniewicz case rulingUpdated Sep 21, 2016 3:32 PM
A Lake County judge hit the reset button on the Melodie Gliniewicz theft case Wednesday, vacating a key ruling that preserved several of the charges against the Fox Lake police officer’s widow.
10th annual solar tourUpdated Sep 26, 2016 5:02 PM
The Illinois Solar Energy Association will host its annual Illinois Solar Tour from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 1.
- Chief judge guest at fireside chat
- Newcomer faces veteran in Lake County Board race
- Lake County project lists online
- Winning images of our weekly photo contest
Recently shared by others
- Oct. 6: CLC offers free screenings for National Depression Screening Day
- CLC adds the University of Iowa to its guaranteed transfer admission program
- Oct. 20: CLC hosts Illinois Regional College Fair
- Oct. 20: Two award-winning slam poets to perform at CLC
- COD to Host Natural Resources Symposium Oct. 27
- Woodland Educational Foundation Golf Outing Raises $15,820
- Woodland Community Invited to Green Day of Service on Sept. 24
- North Park University Celebrates 125 Years of Quality Academics, Faith and Diversity
- Falconaires Orchestra will wow audience with an Oct. 9 latin-inspired concert
- Coaster Challenge this weekend to benefit athletes of Special Olympics Illinois
- Nearly 100 fourth-through-seventh-grade students from St. Malachy School in Chicago visited Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart in Lake Forest Feb. 7 for a day of events including an uplifting gospel liturgy, pizza lunch, talent show and a carnival. This celebration marked the latest chapter in a Black History Month tradition between the inner-city grade school and the North Shore high school dating back to 1996. Pictured here, students from both schools joined the combined choirs at the conclusion of the gospel liturgy to sing “We Shall Overcome” in honor of Pete Seeger, who passed away Jan. 27. Woodlands Academy
- Dr. Jerry Weber, president of the College of Lake County, gets a blue streak sprayed in his hair from Allison Brand, an elementary education major who volunteered at the 'Light it up Blue" Autism awareness event held April 2 at the college. College of Lake County
It’s countdown time for Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart’s 41st annual financial aid fundraiser, Congé. Modeling this year’s theme colors are (from left) Co-Chair Mary Oelerich of Chicago, Silent Auction Chair Alison Kohlmeyer of Lake Forest and Co-Chair Jean Olson of Evanston. The fundraising starts at 9 a.m. Friday, April 11, with online bidding at www.bidpal.net/Congé for a variety of exciting silent auction items such as four VIP tickets to a Los Angeles taping of Conan O’Brien’s TBS TV show, a Chicago Blackhawks hockey stick signed by members of the 2013-14 team and for wine enthusiasts, a 750ml bottle of Chateau Petrus Pomerol (2006). Online bids will be accepted up to and then as part of the silent auction that takes place during the Congé dinner event which begins with cocktails at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 26, at the Glen View Club, 100 Golf Road, Golf, IL. Silent auction bidding ends at 10 p.m.
For more information about Congé contact Woodlands Academy Associate Director of Advancement for Special Events Tami Rocha at 847-234-4300, ext. 226 or visit www.woodlandsacademy.org Woodlands Academy
- Original fine art arrives at the Adler Center in advance of the May 16th A-List Speakeasy and Silent Art Auction Benefit. For tickets visit www.adlercenter.org/index.php/attend/gala/ Provided by the David Adler Music and Arts Center
"Local Girl Needs Help"
A little girl in our community needs help with medical expenses. Her name is Isabella Oliver. Please see her story at: www.gofundme.com/Isabellasjourney. "Give, and you will receive...The amount you give will determine the amount you get back." Luke 6:38. Friends of Isabella Oliver
- Advocate Condell Medical Center nurse Sarah Wild, from Lindenhurst (left) along with fellow nurses Lilli Woo and Ginna Allen, enjoy complimentary sundaes provided as part of National Nurses Week by Culver's Restaurants in Libertyville, Mundelein and Grayslake. Joe White
- The women's team for Red Dot Arms participates in Lake Villa water fights
- The Men's team for Red Dot Arms participates in Lake Villa water fights.
- M. Curtis Whittington, a veteran waiting for a heart transplant, drove away in a recycled car Feb. 12 after being nominated by Tim Heiney, a case manager with Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services (LMVFS). The car was presented to the Whittington family at the 4th Annual Gifting of a Recycled Ride by CARSTAR Mundelein and their sponsors Esurance, 1-800-Charity Cars, Cottman Transmissions & Total Auto Care, Jack Phelan Dodge, MOPAR, Recycled Rides, Stafford’s, Keystone/LKQ, Atlas Car Wash, NABC, AutoZone, NTB, and St. Vincent de Paul. A reception was held for the gifting where local businesses and restaurants donated food and services. This is the second LMVFS client who has received a car through this annual program. The Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services program works through a network of agencies to help military personnel, veterans and their families face challenges, before, during and after their service to this country without eligibility restrictions. LMVFS is also a member of Illinois Joining Forces, an initiative formed to insure community level, military-culture sensitive support and services statewide. LMVFS is located at the Lake County Health Department, 121 E. Grand Avenue in Lake Villa, and has additional offices in Waukegan and McHenry. For more information, call: (847) 377-VET6 (8386). Lake County Health Department
- Dandelion Gallery in Waukegan will honor Hispanic Heritage Month with a large installation by Mexican-American emerging artist Katrina Davis-Salazar titled "Oración de los Números: Economizing Memory, Sanity, & Hours." This show will coincide with ArtWauk and also will include work by 23 talented member artists. Opening reception will be 5 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 15 at Dandelion Gallery, 109 S. Genesee St. Davis-Salazar's works will be priced from $12 to $500 and sold in interactive ways that resemble a warehouse sale. Katrina Davis Salazar
- Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart Debate Team members Elena Gutierrez of Waukegan (left) and Arminda Downey-Mavromatis of Gurnee, both sophomores, finished the season by receiving awards at the Illinois Communication and Theatre Association (ICTA) State Tournament held March 15 at Belvidere North High School in Belvidere, Ill. Gutierrez was the top seed (out of a field of 41) in the playoff rounds after achieving an 8-1 record in the preliminary rounds. She ended the tournament as a quarterfinalist. Downey-Mavromatis earned the 6th place speaker award. Kyle Schmitt, coach of the Lake Forest school’s newly revived Debate Team, is proud of its achievements this year. “We are liked and respected newcomers in the northern Illinois debate circuit,” he said following the state meet. Woodlands Academy
- Artwork by Woodlands Academy junior Erika Cerillo of Waukegan is among those featured at the Deer Path Art League Emerging Artists show in Lake Forest now through March 28. This is one of three exhibits in which artwork by several Woodlands Academy students is on display this month. The other shows are at the Lake Forest Library and the University of St. Francis School of Creative Arts in Fort Wayne, Ind. Woodlands Academy
Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart students Elizabeth (left) and Laura Bartusiak of Lake Forest were among the volunteers who packed meals at Feed My Starving Children in Libertyville recently. In all, nearly 30 girls from the Lake Forest school helped out Jan. 17 at the Libertyville site, 742 E. Park Ave. Volunteers that afternoon packed 142 boxes which represented 30,672 meals. This amount of meals translates to enough nourishment to feed 84 kids for an entire year.
Woodlands Academy requires each student to do at least 70 hours of community service prior to graduation. Many students, though, are passionate about helping others and perform significantly more hours. Woodlands Academy
More Lindenhurst News
- Lindenhurst Business
- Agreement could rekindle long-awaited Cornerstone plan in Grayslake
- Lindenhurst Entertainment
- Libertyville mosque open house will answer your questions
- CLC celebrates new home for bees on campus
- Senior cable show has dispensed knowledge, fun for 17 years
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Grayslake Central High School
- 400 N. Lake St.
Grayslake, Il 60030
- Grayslake North High School
- 1925 North Route 83
Grayslake, Il 60030
- Black/Vegas Gold
- Lakes Community High School
- 1600 Eagle Way
Lake Villa, Il 60046
- Royal Blue/White
Daily Herald Communities
- Developing Today for Tomorrow
- 42.41927, -88.026189
- Lake County