Communities » Lake Zurich Area News
Lake Zurich touts strategic plan accomplishmentsLake Zurich’s to-do list got a bit smaller after several goals were accomplished in the first year of a five-year strategic plan, according to report presented to the village board. "“I think it was very impactful to see the report as one report, where you could go down and understand all of the accomplishments that we’ve really done in the past year,” Trustee Jeffrey Halen said.Last Updated May 20, 2015 6:12 PM
Lake Zurich police safety checkPosted May 22, 2015 1:00 AM
Lake Zurich police announced Thursday that a roadside safety check will continue through Monday, May 25.
Where to find suburban Memorial Day festsUpdated May 22, 2015 2:50 PM
Memorial Day weekend ushers in the unofficial start of summer with ceremonies across the suburbs honoring those who have served our country, parades, and fests with food and music.
Two new restaurants coming to Lake ZurichUpdated May 19, 2015 6:23 PM
Lake Zurich has gained two new restaurants, village documents show.
- More community news
- IMAGES: Some of the best photos you may have missed this weekend
Lake Zurich Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Lake County 4-H Sailing Spin Club
- Web Site and Phone App Notifies Lake County Beachgoers of Swim Bans
- Two Drop-off Locations for Disposal of Worn Flags
- TMA names Steve Rauschenberger as president
- Lambs Farm Raises $35,000 From Popcorn Days
- Two Low-Cost Pet Vaccination Clinics Offered in June
- Lake County Green conference emphasizes climate change response
- Four CLC career students place at SkillsUSA state competition
- CLC Foundation board adds four members; elects new officers
- CLC holds groundbreaking for new café and campus core remodeling
- Nathan Cummings of Grayslake was the overall men's winner at the Long Grove Heritage Run on Sept. 8 with a time of 18:28. Nathan participated on behalf of OMNI Youth Services, one of the 10 charities participating in this year's event. G Dorner
- Nearly 100 fourth-through-seventh-grade students from St. Malachy School in Chicago visited Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart in Lake Forest Feb. 7 for a day of events including an uplifting gospel liturgy, pizza lunch, talent show and a carnival. This celebration marked the latest chapter in a Black History Month tradition between the inner-city grade school and the North Shore high school dating back to 1996. Pictured here, students from both schools joined the combined choirs at the conclusion of the gospel liturgy to sing “We Shall Overcome” in honor of Pete Seeger, who passed away Jan. 27. Woodlands Academy
- Children make pine cone bird feeders at the Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC) class, hosted by Citizens for Conservation in Barrington. During the first part of the class, the children used binoculars to look for birds and count how many they saw. Their results were tallied and added to a global database as part of the international bird count. Tom Benjamin
- Christian Liberty Academy team praying before the game Eileen Glad
- Forest preserve employees hauled used Christmas trees to the Baker's Lake heron rookery using all-terrain vehicles and snowmobiles. Volunteers from Citizens for Conservation and Friends of Deer Grove East were waiting on the island to trim the trees and stand them upright or lay them flat, providing nesting structures for herons, egrets and cormorants. Approximately 80 ? 100 Christmas trees are recycled in this way every year to freshen the rookery. Steve Halm
- 2012-13 Christian Liberty's 1st Baseball Regional Win!! 5-18-13 6-0. Winning pitcher, only pitcher Senior David Colbert. Team won this together. Great plays by Aaron Karr, Shawn Andersen, Juan Pagan, Aaron Cunningham and last out caught by Brendan Brosnan. David did an awesome job pitching and catching line drives at the mount. Freshman Tim Laskowski, Peter Grob and Jimmy Calkins thanks for getting on base in order to score. Aaron Karr, Shawn Andersen, way to move our players on the bases with your great hits-triples and doubles and Daniel Glad and JD for your great catches. This was definitely a team playing together to win the victory. Eileen Glad
- Dr. Jerry Weber, president of the College of Lake County, gets a blue streak sprayed in his hair from Allison Brand, an elementary education major who volunteered at the 'Light it up Blue" Autism awareness event held April 2 at the college. College of Lake County
It’s countdown time for Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart’s 41st annual financial aid fundraiser, Congé. Modeling this year’s theme colors are (from left) Co-Chair Mary Oelerich of Chicago, Silent Auction Chair Alison Kohlmeyer of Lake Forest and Co-Chair Jean Olson of Evanston. The fundraising starts at 9 a.m. Friday, April 11, with online bidding at www.bidpal.net/Congé for a variety of exciting silent auction items such as four VIP tickets to a Los Angeles taping of Conan O’Brien’s TBS TV show, a Chicago Blackhawks hockey stick signed by members of the 2013-14 team and for wine enthusiasts, a 750ml bottle of Chateau Petrus Pomerol (2006). Online bids will be accepted up to and then as part of the silent auction that takes place during the Congé dinner event which begins with cocktails at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 26, at the Glen View Club, 100 Golf Road, Golf, IL. Silent auction bidding ends at 10 p.m.
For more information about Congé contact Woodlands Academy Associate Director of Advancement for Special Events Tami Rocha at 847-234-4300, ext. 226 or visit www.woodlandsacademy.org Woodlands Academy
- Culver's of Lake Zurich celebrated National Superhero Day on April 28 by honoring our local heroes. Members of the Lake Zurich Police and Fire departments were invited for a meal on the house, while the restaurant's younger guests could dress up as their favorite superheroes and receive a free Kids Meal. Along with them for their visits, police and fire departments brought a firetruck, ambulance and squad car for kids to view. The restaurant also offered games and face painting for children. Here, Daniella and Mason of Barrington pose with Lake Zurich Fireman Chris Hedquist, Hawthorn Woods Police Officer Sarah Canada, Lake Zurich Fireman Spencer Cornell, Lake Zurich Police Officer Pat Stone and Lieutenant Tom Peterson of the Lake Zurich Station 4 Fire Department. Mackenzie Kramer
- Culver's of Lake Zurich celebrated National Superhero Day on April 28 by honoring our local heroes. Members of the Lake Zurich Police and Fire departments were invited for a meal on the house, while the restaurant's younger guests could dress up as their favorite superheroes and receive a free Kids Meal. Along with them for their visits, police and fire departments brought a firetruck, ambulance and squad car for kids to view. The restaurant also offered games and face painting for children. Here, Aidan of Lake Zurich poses in front of a fire truck. Mackenzie Kramer
- The Kaleidoscope School of Fine Art, 316 W. Main St. in Barrington, is holding a raffle of custom, hand-crafted, European doll furniture and accessories to help raise scholarship money for students. 3 Prize raffle drawings are to be held during the Art School’s Summer Children’s Art Show at 8 p.m. Friday, Aug. 29, 2014. The public is invited to view the unique doll-sets and/or buy raffle tickets at Kaleidoscope Mon.-Fri., 10am-5pm, Sat., 9am-1pm. For info, call 847-381-4840 or visit www.KaleidoscopeSchoolofFineArt.org Doug Jennings
- The Smart Arts Class at St. Mark's Day School in Barrington Hills celebrated Dr. Seuss' birthday with a big celebration. The 4 and 5 year olds learned about the author, read and acted out scenes from an assortment of Seuss books, and dressed in the cat's red and white hat, red bow and whiskers. Dr. Seuss is just one of many well-known authors that the children are introduced to during the year. St. Mark's Day School
- Harper College's fountain on the Euclid Road side of the campus Frank P. Sesko Ed. D.
- Face N Time rocked Middleton's on Main in Wauconda on Saturday night with an all-electric show. Next up: The Gambler, 1232 N. Green St., McHenry on May 16 at 9:30 p.m. Come on out! k gerdts
- Girl Scout Troop 40523 delivered cookies to the homeless at JOURNEYS | The Road Home in Palatine. The clients felt grateful receiving such a special treat. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
- Back Row: Coach Gerry Gilbertson, Morgan Lung, Leah Martinez, Ella Gilbertson, Katie Lach, McKenna Walsh, Maiwen Amegadjie. Front Row: Makayla Burmeister, Karlee Walsh, Olivia Collins, Simi Pugazenthi, Isabelle Klett, Erin Stewart, Anna Gilbertson. (Not pictured: Nicole Guy, Julie Dobrow, Coach Jude Stewart.) Melanie Collins
- Tim and Alaina Murawski of Lake Zurich participated in Arthur Ashe Tennis Day, a charity fundraiser hosted by Midtown Athletic Club in Palatine April 14. Proceeds benefited the Arthur Ashe Endowment for the Defeat of Aids. Pictured with Tim and Alaina are Midtown teaching professional Mike Byrd and Chicago radio personality Kathy Hart of 101.9 fm The Mix. Dave Silbar/SilbarPR
- The Lake Zurich High School Varsity Dance Team has qualified to compete in the 2013 Universal Dance Association National Dance Team championship in Orlando, Fla. next February. The team earned a placement in the championship while competing at the UDA Elite camp, held at Illinois State University. Team members are, from left, front: Julia Packer, Emma Light, captains Stephanie Monday and Carly Dust, Day-Day Jonaityte, Melissa Grizely, and Jenna Monday; middle: Morgan Kamins, Dana Matasek, Gina Bundra, Kendall Sharp, Olivia Carey, Sophia Gritsonis, Allison Dust, and Margaret Lotowski; back: coach Theresa Johlie, Emma Davis, Isabel Young, Abbie Theis, Michaella Andersen, Nicole Anderson, Suzanne Zborowski, and coach Melanie Ewanio. Laura Bundra
- Eight-year-old Noemi Avalos of Barrington has quite an audience during a recent tennis lesson at Midtown Athletic Club in Palatine. Twice a week, Avalos brings a throng of stuffed animals and treats them to a courtside view of her workout with coach Krisztina Anderko. Laughs Noemi's mom, Elizabeth: "At first she just would bring 2-3 animals, but then she told me it was unfair not to bring the others." Dave Silbar/SilbarPR
- Children look for birds as part of the Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC). The GBBC is an annual event at which bird watchers of all ages count birds to get a real-time snapshot of where birds are all over the world. The local event was hosted by Citizens for Conservation in Barrington. Tom Benjamin
"Local Girl Needs Help"
A little girl in our community needs help with medical expenses. Her name is Isabella Oliver. Please see her story at: www.gofundme.com/Isabellasjourney. "Give, and you will receive...The amount you give will determine the amount you get back." Luke 6:38. Friends of Isabella Oliver
- Mom Vicky Nordhem coach of 35 years and daughter Kylie Dykgraaf Freshman and Varsity setter at Lake Zurich, matched up against each other tonight at Lake Zurich HS. Stevenson won the match in 3 games,but both of them have been anticipating this match since the beginning of the season. Sonja Brueggemann
- Miss Suhanee Amul Patel, age 9 has been chosen as a State Finalist for the National American Miss Illinois Pageant to be held August 2nd and 3rd at the Pheasant Run Resort in St. Charles, IL. She will be participating along with other outstanding young ladies from Illinois. This event gives Suhanee a chance to share her Indian heritage as well as her talents. Suhanee Patel
- Citizens for Conservation (CFC) volunteers started off the new year last Saturday by clearing brush from an oak woods owned by CFC. Dedicated volunteers have worked there for 5 years to clear invasive plants from the 6-acre parcel and have made good progress. Restoration has already begun on the site. Donna Bolzman
- St. Francis de Sales students from the play, "The Little Mermaid." Performances will be held at 7 p.m. May 17 and 18. Angela Mooney
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Adlai E. Stevenson High School
- 1 Stevenson Dr.
Lincolnshire, Il 60069
- Forest Green/Gold
- Lake Zurich High School
- 300 Church St.
Lake Zurich, Il 60047
- Royal Blue/White
Daily Herald Communities
- 42.192324, -88.088098
- Lake County