Communities » Gurnee Area News
Warren-Newport bookmobile shelved for repairsAs of today, Gurnee-based Warren-Newport Public Library District’s bookmobile will be in the shop for repairs. The work is expected to be completed by July 19. Mobile library service will continue, however, with a rented white cargo van that will make all scheduled bookmobile stops.Last Updated Jun 19, 2013 6:04 PM
Get rid of chemical waste with SWALCO’s helpUpdated Jun 16, 2013 4:06 PM
The Special Waste Agency of Lake County will collect residential chemical waste for disposal on Monday, June 24, at its offices, 1311 N. Estes St., Gurnee.
Six Flags debuts igNIGHT, its biggest closing show everUpdated Jun 14, 2013 12:21 PM
People attending Six Flags Great America this weekend will be treated to a new grand finale. igNIGHT, the grand finale, is a “mesmerizing and immersive spectacle” that features live singing, dancing, fireworks, pyrotechnics and brilliant visual effects. Park spokeswoman Kathryn Enrique said the finale sends park goers on a journey through time, telling a story through cutting edge multimedia and sensory effects.
Steak the standout at Stevens’ in GurneePosted Jun 19, 2013 6:00 AM
Light jazz music outside on the patio beckons diners into Stevens’ steakhouse in Gurnee.The staff is welcoming with an air of formality that is reflected in the food — think high-class entrees on a middle-class budget. The dining room specializes in steaks and seafood, with chicken and pasta for those who crave neither surf nor turf. And make sure to leave room for the exceptional Bundt cake to finish your meal.
Recently shared by others
- Old Time Pottery Schedules Grand Opening for West Chicago Store
- ComEd Offers Customers Once-in-a-Lifetime Experiences in “Coolest Summer Ever” Promotion
- neXt Gallery Celebrates Ēkwabet’s 25th Birthday – Presents Native AmericanStorytelling
- Consider St. Bede School For The Fall
- One Truck, One Goal: Charity fundraiser at Schaumburg Boomers seeks to fill semi truck with sports gear for kids in need.
- Why Prairies Developed in North America
- Life Insurance 101
- Faith Lutheran Church hosts international and highly acclaimed Tim Zimmerman and the King's Brass in Concert
- Digital Photography Flower and Garden Workshop
- ComEd Offers Customers Once-in-a-Lifetime Experiences in “Coolest Summer Ever” Promotion
- Not your usual Shakespeare, Wheaton Drama's production of "Romeo & Juliet" brings a current New Orleans setting and exciting stage combat to the famous play. In this press shot, the Capulet/Montague feud gets personal for Tybalt (Eric Waddick)and Benvolia (Lynda Wellhausen). Show information and tickets at http://www.wheatondrama.org Steven Merkel
73rd American Legion Aux. Girls State Session
(1st rw lft to rt) Paulina Piasecki, Michelle Piaaecki & Erin Ehlers. (2nd row) Stephanie Saghafi from ALA Lake Region Unit #703/Grant H.S. (Emily Carbrera- Morales, Jocelyn Zamudio, Waukegan T.H.S. Homer Dehringer Unit#281. LaVera Davis Ch.) Nicole Haley from Wauconda H.S. & Aux. Unit 911 Gurnee Chairman Carla Scrofield, Nicole Silvers, Peggy Kalicki, Ruth Buehrer, Shirley Koop, Doris Schultz 10th Ditrict Ch. Finance Groups: the Kiwanas Club of Zion -Benton, the Maya Beville's scholarship/sponsorship as Cancer Treatment Centers of America at Midwestern Regional Medical Center. The North Shore Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution Th girls will experience the campaigning & election process & once elected; they will do the duties of that officer & will return home with a hands on experience of our government process. They will be able to interview for Girls Nation, apply for scholarships, speak with our elected officials or lesson to the extremely good speakers that have come to leave an impression. Other girls not pictured but who were selected to attend: Marissa DePino, Makenna Eldridge, Jamie Kreppein, Fallan Schultz, Anna Thomas, Kari Bengston, Alison Kramer, Julia Curry, Carley Feldman, Grace Bower, Marisa Woodrum, Katherine Kissel, Madeline Arnold, Madeline Coe, Cheyenne Kimbell, Kayla Podgorski, Maya Beville, Jullian Karande Lydia Henry, Kayla Savage & Tara Eyre Arlene Lolley
- Guest speaker J.J. O'Connor, center, chats with PAL/Clearbrook supporters at the 16th annual PAL fundraiser. Clearbrook
- Christian Heritage Academy's Class of 2012 celebrates the eighth-grade graduation. Emily Tu
"Fire Sprinklers Save Lives"
Lake County Fire Chief's Association provided Fire Sprinkler Demonstrations at the Lake County Fair. Tony Rodkey of Countryside Fire describes how fire sprinklers will contain or extinguish a residential fire. Jeff Schmidt
- Emery Moorhead from the 85 Chicago Bears (second from right) spins the roulette wheel for Clearbrook at their Spring Casino Night held on March 2 in Palatine. Moorehead was one of five former NFL players who volunteered at Clearbrooks Spring Casino Night. Clearbrook
Gather Your Girlfriends for Martinis, Massages, and More: No kids. No men. Just women, wine, and golf.
From left, Bonnie Newman, Carolyn Szaflik, Lori Runquist, and Tracy Baron show off their creative ensembles that won them "Best Dressed Foursome" at last year's Clearbrook Women's Classic Golf Outing. Colleen Gallagher
- Supporters of JOURNEYS | The Road Home came out to participate in the 1st ever SUPERHERO 5K! Participants raised money for JOURNEYS' supportive services for those who are homeless and at risk of becoming homeless in suburban Cook County. Thank you to everyone who came out to be a hero for the homeless! JOURNEYS | The Road Home
"Local Girl Needs Help"
A little girl in our community needs help with medical expenses. Her name is Isabella Oliver. Please see her story at: www.gofundme.com/Isabellasjourney. "Give, and you will receive...The amount you give will determine the amount you get back." Luke 6:38. Friends of Isabella Oliver
- Students at Matigian Preschool in Libertyville were excited to welcome spring. The children colored eggs, made bunny projects and received a special visit from a mysterious bunny who left behind treats for the kids. A Sekili
Picture of newly crowned Ms. Wheelchair, Illinois
Danielle Austin. She will be making her inaugural appearance at the EHLS Open House April 24 at 210 W Campus Drive, Suite B, Arlington Heights, and will be signing autographs and answering questions. Danielle Austin
- bottom row: Sean Naughton, Jack Housinger, Mason Schaller, Charley Dir, Ryan Patel; middle row: Colin Biesterfeld, Jeff Morton, Jeff Bikus, Austin Ehren, Ethan Ekstrom, Drew Breitenreiter; top row: Coaches Bruce Dir, John Bikus, Terry Biesterfeld, Donn Breitenreiter, Millie Naughton
- Dr. Ulwyn Pierre, the global radio talk show host of Leadership Success and You to speak at June 7 Small Business Success in Lake County event. Register at www.SmallBusinessSuccessinLakeCounty.com SBDC
- The Icedogs Pee Wee Team from the Glacier in Vernon Hills won the Chi-Town Cup Hockey Tournament this weekend at the Leafs Center Ice Arena in West Dundee. They beat the Chargers from Rolling Meadows in the finals 3-1. Front: John McLaughlin, Chris Strauss, Amanda Peter, Michael Pelfresne, Aiden Devlin, Sam Frishman; second row: Joey Massarelli, David Brostoff, Kevin Kaya, Joe Felicicchia, Danny Hynes, Kyle Maciejewski, Jack Iannuzzi, Jeffrey Paczynski, Joey Greenlee; and back row: coaches - Scott Kaya, Joe Massarelli, Brian Peter. Missing from Picture: Jess Palizzi. Charlie McLaughlin
- Ilomae Curran took this photo of the storm last Sunday from her balcony on Pauly Drive in Gurnee. Ilomae Curran
- Vernon Hills High School students' shoe designs for the Custom Culture competition. Design by (left to right): Ann Ho, Kathleen McLoughlin, Tiffany Do, and Olivia Weaver. Vote for their designs at http://www.vans.com/customculture/vote/top50/ Allison Molloy
- WarrenTownship high school Boys JV lacrosse, coached by Dan Ryan has taken the boys into a winning streak. They beat Notre Dame 9-1 on Friday. They have record of 6 wins and 2 losses. elizabeth Peterson
- Keey Knobe at The Stevenson Conference Meet on Thursday, May 2. Keely Knobe, sophomore at Warren Township High School, competed against 14 high schools and took 2nd. Place in discus at 114 feet and 4 inches and took 3rd place in shot put throwing 35 feet and 4 inches. Keely is truly amazing in both shot put and discus. Elizabeth peterson
- Spring has sprung at the Prairie Crossing Learning Farm in Grayslake. Seedlings are growing in the greenhouse in preparation for the May 18 Farm Connections Plant Sale. Erin Cummisford
- Information to sign up Dan Sivia
- Members of the Friends of Clearbrook Committee take a break between flights of wine to pose at Clearbrooks 49th Annual A Grapevine of Friends Wine Tasting that took place on February 23, 2013 at the Chicago Marriott Schaumburg. The event drew nearly 400 people. Chicago Corporate Photography
More Gurnee News
- Gurnee Sports
- Baseball: Lake County all-area team
- Singular sensation Sowa ready for the next stage
- Softball: Lake County all-area team
- Girls soccer: Lake County all-area team
- Boys volleyball: Lake County all-area team
- Images: Daily Herald Spring All-Area Team Captains
- Gurnee Business
- Have coffee with state Rep. Yingling
- Lake County networking event:
- Free business needs workshop
- Gurnee Entertainment
- Steak the standout at Stevens’ in Gurnee
- Six Flags debuts igNIGHT, its biggest closing show ever
- Gurnee Discussion
- What’s taking so long for Rt. 53 extension?