1. An elderly couple described by a neighbor as "very great people" and two of their adult children were found dead in their Elmhurst home Saturday in what authorities say was a triple murder and suicide. Neighbors say the couple had been battling health problems.
2. Authorities believe a Lake County middle school teacher has fled to Germany to avoid arrest on charges he sexually assaulted a student in 2012. An arrest warrant has been issued for Michael R. Vucic, 41, on five counts of predatory criminal sexual assault and five counts of criminal sexual assault.
Contact information ( * required )
3. What happens when police dogs can't work anymore? If they are like Shane, a Gurnee officer who retired in June, they live out their lives as family pets with their former human partners.
4. As a kindergartner in Elk Grove Village, Mallory Marra wanted to be a dolphin trainer, so she was thrilled to work with the stars in the movie "Dolphin Tale 2," opening Sept. 12
5. U.S. Rep. Tammy Duckworth said she is six months pregnant and expecting a daughter. The Hoffman Estates Democrat, Iraq veteran and double amputee broke the news Monday morning on NBC's "Today" in a segment describing how four amputees who came home from the Iraq War are now pregnant or have recently had babies.
6. A simulator recently purchased by the Elgin Police Department projects almost 400 different training scenarios so that officers make good decisions in emergencies.
7. District 214 is considering working with a church to build a warehouselike community closet that can be used as a food pantry/clothes closet for the needy, while providing volunteer opportunities for students.
8. A plan to consolidate four Chicago area Boy Scout councils is underway, as the organization tries to find ways to increase membership and ramp up fundraising efforts.
9. Building a bridge is a serious undertaking, especially when it's going up in an area that sees more than 80,000 vehicles drive through each day. That's one part of the Illinois Tollway's expansive overhaul of the interchange at I-290 and the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway (now known as I-390). It makes for really cool pictures from overhead.
10. The long-awaited, $88.5 million Algonquin Bypass that has been in the works for three years will open Thursday.