For three days each year during the Last Fling, the 12-acre grounds at Naper Settlement become Family Fun Land.
With Disney star meet-and-greets, kid-themed business booths and bounce houses galore, the area works hard to live up to the "fun" in its name, said Mary Cooke-Hall, Family Fun Land chairwoman.
Contact information ( * required )
The free family area at 523 S. Webster St. is open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday. Here are some tips for having fun with little ones during the Last Fling Labor Day festival.
1. Meet a star. Disney actress Dove Cameron, star of the series "Liv and Maddie," will host a public meet-and-greet from 3 to 5 p.m. Sunday at the Family Fun Land stage at Naper Settlement, 523 S. Webster St. Free wristbands for admission to the meet-and-greet will be handed out at 10 a.m. on a first-come, first-served basis.
"It's been a tradition that on Sunday we've done a talent meet-and-greet," Cooke-Hall said. "It's a really nice way to engage kids and their families."
2. Sing along to "Frozen" tunes. The Snow Queen and Ice Princess from Princesscapades Princess Parties will sing tunes from the hit movie "Frozen," lead "cool"-themed craft projects and read icy stories from 2 to 4 p.m. Monday on the Family Fun Land stage.
"We encourage kids to get dressed up and have a good time," Cooke-Hall said.
Characters Elsa, Anna, Hans and Kristoff also will be on hand in costume for photos.
3. Bounce. Family Fun Land offers not just a bounce house, but a "bounce town" suitable for toddlers through teens, Cooke-Hall said.
"They're obstacle courses. They're really big. They have slides in them," she said. "It's not just jumping around."
Some of the five bounce houses will have separate rooms with activities and all will be more interactive than the typical inflated jumping zone, Cooke-Hall said. Entrance to each house in "bounce town" is free.
4. Give health a TRY. The Disney TRYathlon Road Tour will be on-site from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday offering healthy activities. The campaign encourages kids to try new foods and fun ways to get moving.
The "Plate It" nutritious meal creation challenge also will be part of what the road tour's organizers call the "magic of healthy living."
5. Enjoy a show. Nineteen performances will rock the Family Fun Land stage from 10 a.m. Saturday through 5 p.m. Monday. Shows include coldblooded creatures, Irish dancers, cabaret singers, dancers, DJs, jugglers, magicians, movie characters and rockers from School of Rock Naperville.
6. Check the website. For show performance schedules and details about the business booths, bounce houses and free activities available in Family Fun Land, visit lastfling.org/funland.cfm.