The DuPage County Health Department's RxBOX initiative continues to grow in awareness and popularity among county residents as evidenced by the latest collection of nearly 3,400 pounds of unwanted medications.
This is our largest single collection to date. RxBOX is a free service offered to DuPage County residents by the DuPage County Health Department, in partnership with a dozen municipal and county law enforcement agencies. This program seeks to help residents safely remove unwanted medications from homes, as well as contribute to improving the environment.
Launched by the Health Department in 2009, the RxBOX program collects medications that otherwise might have been flushed down the drain or placed in the garbage. We remind residents that sharps, especially epinephrine pens, cannot be accepted by RxBOX.
Residents with sharps waste such epinephrine pens, hypodermic needles, and blood testing lancets can place them in a rigid container, seal the lid with tape, label the contents as "sharps waste" and dispose along with their household garbage.
The materials are removed periodically from the RxBOX locations and safely incinerated by a contractor hired by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency using state-of-the-art technology.
Residents can dispose of their old medications at any of the following RxBOX locations:
• Addison Police Department, 3 Friendship Plaza, Addison, IL 60101
• Bloomingdale Police Department, 201 Bloomingdale Road, Bloomingdale, IL 60108
• Burr Ridge Police Department, 7660 S. County Line Rd # 1, Burr Ridge, IL 60527
• Carol Stream Police Department, 500 N. Gary Avenue, Carol Stream, IL 60188
• DuPage County Sheriff, 501 N. County Farm Road, Wheaton, IL 60187
• Glendale Heights Police Department, 300 Civic Plaza, Glendale Heights, IL 60139
• Lemont Police Department, 416 Main Street, Lemont, IL 60439
• Lisle Police Department, 5040 Lincoln Avenue, Lisle, IL 60532
• Oak Brook Police Department, 1200 Oak Brook Road, Oak Brook, IL 60521
• Schaumburg Police Department, 1000 W. Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg, IL 60194
• Wheaton Police Department. 900 W. Liberty Drive, Wheaton, IL 60187
• Wood Dale Police Department, 404 N. Wood Dale Road, Wood Dale, IL 60191
For more information on the Health Department and RxBOX, follow us on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, or visit www.dupagehealth.org.