Breaking News Bar
updated: 8/5/2014 1:54 PM

Candle apparently sparks Naperville-area house fire

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
Daily Herald report

No injuries were reported Tuesday in a Naperville-area house fire that authorities said may have been sparked by a candle left burning in the kitchen.

Firefighters said they responded at 9:17 a.m. to the fire in an unincorporated area of Will County along Windjammer Lane and arrived to find smoke coming from the open front door of the split-level frame house.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Bureau Chief George Hyland said firefighters initially were concerned by the lack of hydrants in the area, but were able to bring the fire under control by 9:45 a.m.

The residents had safely left the building, he said, and were waiting outside for firefighters to arrive.

Hyland said the fire damage was confined mainly to the kitchen, but there was thick black smoke throughout the house.

The house is uninhabitable, authorities said, and damage is estimated to be more than $50,000.

Firefighters from Winfield, Plainfield and Oswego provided vehicles and coverage for the rest of the city while Naperville firefighters battled the blaze.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.
    help here