Community reaction to resignation of Elgin Area School District U-46 Superintendent José Torres, who is leaving to head the Illinois Math and Science Academy in Aurora.
• "I'm sorry to see (Torres) go. I really think he helped U-46 make a transition. He's helped boost the reputation of U-46 through a number of programs that he initiated. ... That's really something he and I have talked about -- changing the image both of Elgin and U-46. He worked to better serve the students and better serve the community." -- David Kaptain, Elgin mayor
• "José recognized economic development, which is what we deliver in our Elgin Development Group public-private partnership, is critical for Elgin's growth and how significant education is to workforce development." -- Carol Gieske, Elgin chamber of commerce president
• "He did a good job of reaching out to our diverse community and creating increased involvement with the community and parents. The ETA wishes him well in this new path he has chosen. We appreciate his service to the U-46 school community. We recognize that he brought some significant changes to the district." -- Kathy Castle, Elgin Teachers Association president, who noted that Torres' departure comes at a busy time, "We are in the middle of trying to ratify a tentative agreement on the teacher's contract. There's a lot going on with the start of the school year: new teacher orientation, and we're hiring between 130 and 150 teachers."
• "Many experts, including several very well respected teachers believe this (new) grading scale that Dr. Torres fought for will have adverse effects on the student's learning, although it will artificially inflate their grades in the short term." -- Frank Napolitano, former U-46 board member
• "He was very involved. He was a good, positive role model for Latinos, for minorities. ... I wish him nothing but the best, and I'm looking forward to meeting and speaking to the new superintendent. All I can say is that (Torres) is going to leave the district better than when he found it." -- Rose Martinez, Elgin City Councilwoman
• "As a community partner and educational supporter, I was impressed by Dr. Torres' commitment to excellence as demonstrated by his emphasis on high standards and advanced placement opportunities and his commitment to equity through designated positions and programs." -- Rise Jones, co-founder and executive director of Hamilton Wings
• "In a nutshell, it's a great gain for IMSA and a tremendous loss for U-46." -- Mark Seigle, president of Seigle Cabinet Center