Breaking News Bar
updated: 7/30/2014 5:42 PM

Nadal out of 2 tournaments because of right wrist

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • FILE - In this July 1, 2014 file photo, Rafael Nadal of Spain loses a point to Nick Kyrgios of Australia during their men's singles match at the All England Lawn Tennis Championships in Wimbledon, London. Nadal is withdrawing from hard-court tournaments in Toronto and Cincinnati because of a right wrist injury, putting his status in doubt for a title defense at the U.S. Open. His manager announced the withdrawals Wednesday, July 30, 2014.

      FILE - In this July 1, 2014 file photo, Rafael Nadal of Spain loses a point to Nick Kyrgios of Australia during their men's singles match at the All England Lawn Tennis Championships in Wimbledon, London. Nadal is withdrawing from hard-court tournaments in Toronto and Cincinnati because of a right wrist injury, putting his status in doubt for a title defense at the U.S. Open. His manager announced the withdrawals Wednesday, July 30, 2014.

 
Associated Press

Rafael Nadal withdrew Wednesday from U.S. Open tuneups in Toronto and Cincinnati because of a right wrist injury, putting in doubt his status for a title defense at the year's last Grand Slam tournament.

The second-ranked Nadal plays left-handed, but he uses a two-handed backhand.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

He said in a statement issued by the Toronto tournament that he injured himself Tuesday.

In a posting on Facebook, Nadal said he is "disappointed" that he can't play the next two weeks but adds, "I expect to be well for the U.S. Open."

Nadal's manager, Benito Perez-Barbadillo, wrote in an emailed release that the Spaniard was hurt in practice on his home island of Mallorca while getting ready for the North American hard-court circuit.

Perez-Barbadillo said that doctors determined Wednesday that Nadal will need to wear a cast on his wrist for two to three weeks and the initial prognosis is for him to be able to return to action at the U.S. Open, which begins Aug. 25. But doctors will keep tabs on the injury, including with MRI exams, and then decide when Nadal can play again.

The Toronto tournament begins Monday, and the Cincinnati tournament starts Aug. 11. Nadal won both of those events last year (when the Canadian tournament was held in Montreal). They would have represented his hard-court preparation for this year's U.S. Open.

Nadal won his second championship at Flushing Meadows in 2013. That is part of his collection of 14 Grand Slam titles, tied with Pete Sampras for second in the history of men's tennis, trailing only Roger Federer's record of 17.

Nadal is 44-8 with four titles in 2014, including his record ninth French Open trophy.

He hasn't competed since losing in the fourth round of Wimbledon to 19-year-old Nick Kyrgios in four sets on July 1.

Nadal has reached the final in his last three appearances at the U.S. Open, beating Novak Djokovic to win the titles in 2010 and last year, and losing to Djokovic in 2011. Nadal missed the tournament in 2012, part of an extended absence because of a knee injury.

He missed a chance to defend his 2008 Wimbledon championship in 2009, because of knee problems.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.