1. Since 2007, the number of homeless students has risen by more than 70 percent, leaving suburban schools challenged to meet the needs of kids who understandably can find it hard to focus on education.
2. A fund has been set up to help the two children of an Arlington Heights mom who gave her life last week to save a young boy from drowning in a Wisconsin lake.
Contact information ( * required )
3. Hall-of-Famers Frank Thomas, Greg Maddux and Tony La Russa gave Sox and Cubs fans something special in their unrelenting pursuit of perfection, columnist Burt Constable says.
4. A 28-year-old Lisle man died early Sunday morning after losing control of his motorcycle along Ogden Avenue in Naperville and striking two trees. Police say they're continuing to investigate what exactly happened.
5. A 40-year-old Sugar Grove man faces a misdemeanor battery charge after a fight Friday night at the village's annual Corn Boil, authorities said.
6. Two men were left critically wounded after a pair of drive-by shootings in Aurora over the weekend. Though police were still investigating the shootings, officials said they appear to be gang-related.
7. There are lots of ways to thank a veteran for his or her service. The Bartlett-based nonprofit Take a Vet Fishing takes that show of gratitude to a whole new level.
8. New Palatine-Schaumburg High School District 211 Superintendent Daniel Cates' passion for education was lit among much humbler surroundings than the five technology-savvy suburban high schools he now leads.
9. The Illinois Department of Transportation has once again moved up its timeline for the reconstruction of Route 72 and Big Timber Road near Pingree Grove after residents mounted an email campaign to push the project.
10. The long-envisioned sale of Bolander Park in Libertyville for $2.05 million for a 56-unit townhouse development appears to be nearing a conclusion.
BONUS: Check out the photos from this year's Comic Con.