Summer is in full swing and the DuPage County Health Department reminds swimmers and pool owners to remember the following safety tips to keep everyone healthy and in the swim of things all summer long:
• Stay out of the water if you have diarrhea.
• Shower with soap before you start swimming.
• Use rest rooms and not the pool.
• Don't swallow the water.
• Take children on bathroom breaks every 60 minutes; check diapers every 30–60 minutes.
• Make sure everyone knows how to swim. Use life jackets appropriately.
• Provide continuous, attentive supervision with young swimmers.
• Know cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
• Install and maintain barriers like four-sided fencing and weight-bearing pool covers.
• Use locks/alarms for windows and doors.
• Read and follow directions on product labels. Wear appropriate safety equipment, such as goggles and masks, as directed, when handling pool chemicals.
• Secure pool chemicals to protect people and animals. Add pool chemicals poolside ONLY when directed by product label and when no one is in the water.
• NEVER mix different pool chemicals with each other, especially chlorine products with acid.
• Pre-dissolve pool chemicals ONLY when directed by product label.
• Add pool chemicals to water, NEVER water to pool chemicals.
For more information, follow us on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, or visit www.dupagehealth.org.
# # #