Breaking News Bar
updated: 7/21/2014 8:37 AM

Illinois oy's death caused by improperly grounded camper

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 

Associated Press

DIXON -- The accidental electrocution last month of a 3-year-old Illinois boy was caused by current from an improperly grounded family camper.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

The (Dixon) Telegraph reports it's a problem known among recreational vehicle enthusiasts as "hot skin."

Landyn Gerald Keener, a 3-year-old from Amboy, died June 30 when he touched a door handle of the camper while standing on wet ground.

Lee County Sheriff John Varga calls it a tragic accident and says nobody was at fault.

Electrical engineer Mike Sokol tells the newspaper he's started a website to educate RV owners about electrical safety. He recommends buying a noncontact voltage tester at a hardware store to test for problems. He also recommends using only electrical outlets for RVs that were installed by a professional.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.
    help here