More than 200 original images of early Lake Zurich are on display through August at the Ela Historical Society Museum, 95 E. Main St., Lake Zurich.
The free exhibit features vintage post cards of downtown Lake Zurich and local landmarks. The public is welcome to browse the postcard collection and other museum displays.
Museum hours are 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday and Saturday and 1 to 3 p.m. the third Sunday of every month.
Thanks to Dick and Sally Price, Janet Paulus and members of the society for their donations for this exhibit.
Ela Historical Society & Museum was organized in 1976 with the mission to collect, preserve and share the history of Ela Township. The museum is in the historic Town Hall building at Main and Church streets.
Visitors are welcome at the meetings, which are generally held from 1 to 3 p.m. the third Sunday of the month.
Early settlers began arriving around 1835. The first town meeting was April 2, 1850. The Town Hall was built in 1865 on one acre deeded to the township by Isaac Fox. The first meeting of the Ela Historical Society was in 1976 in the second floor meeting room.
Ela Township Auditor Mary Ann Davis led Ela Township's celebration of the Bicentennial of the U.S. Constitution and was elected as the first president of the society. Subsequent presidents included Marian Bauer, Spencer Loomis, Gloria Heramb and Nancy Loomis Schroeder.
Starting in members' homes, then in the basement of the Town Hall, and now on its main floor, the society is completely run by volunteers. Dues are kept at a nominal rate to encourage membership. Individuals come to research information on their families and to donate photos and memorabilia pertaining to their lives in the community.