The Des Plaines Park District's 2014 Live at the Lake Summer Entertainment Series returns to Lake Park this year, with a five-week lineup of free Thursday evening outdoor music and dance shows. Families are encouraged to come out early to picnic and play in the park.
This year's performances include:
Contact information ( * required )
• June 26, 7-8:30 p.m., The Barefoot Hawaiian: This professional, authentic Polynesian-style performing troupe of dancers and drummers will recreate the colors and flavors of the islands.
• July 10, 7-8 p.m., Des Plaines Park District Community Concert Band: Under the direction of William Gilmer, enjoy a musical evening of Broadway and movie scores, patriotic marches, and classic and popular hits from the band's wide repertoire.
• July 17, 7-8:30 p.m., Rio Bamba: Musicians play a unique blend of Bossa Nova, Samba, and American and Latin Jazz including standards and original music.
• July 24, 7-8:30 p.m., Artistry in Motion Dance Company: The Des Plaines Park District's own award-winning dance company performs a mix of jazz, ballet, modern, hip hop, and tap routines.
• July 31, 7-8:30 p.m., Five Guys Named Moe: A classic rock 'n' roll band that features outstanding lead vocalists with magnificent harmonies, horns and percussion.
Performances take place at the Lake Park Memorial Pavilion, 2200 Lee St. Street parking is free. For weather updates, call (847) 391-5705 after 6 p.m. on the day of the performance.
In addition, on several Fridays, the Optimist Club of Des Plaines is showing free movies at dusk at the pavilion.
• June 27, "Despicable Me 2"
• July 11, "Wreck It Ralph"
• July 25: "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2"
• Aug. 8: "Back to the Future"