The Wheaton Municipal Band opened its summer concert series Thursday evening in Memorial Park.
The concert was to feature tuba soloist and Northern Illinois University professor Thomas Bough playing alongside the band. Students and directors from Wheaton middle schools also were scheduled to perform.
Contact information ( * required )
Wheaton Municipal Band performances will be held in the park at 8 p.m. every Thursday -- except July 3 -- through Aug. 14. The June 26 concert will start at 7:30 p.m.
Concerts are free and feature a variety of music styles and themes. They include:
• June 19 -- Composers Who Made a Difference, recognizing the work of composers who recently passed away.
• June 26 -- Rocket Through Space, featuring music from "Superman" to "Star Wars."
• July 2 -- Patriotic Concert: A Salute to Heroes, with some favorite patriotic selections.
• July 10 -- Wheaton Municipal Band Goes Dancin', including samba dance lessons at 6:30 p.m. and special guest soloist Tech. Sgt. Joseph M. Bello of the U.S. Air Force Band
• July 17 -- Schissel Conducts, a concert directed by Loras John Schissel, a senior musicologist at the Library of Congress.
• July 24 -- Wheaton Municipal Band Tours the World with Music, featuring a visual, culinary and audible tour of the world cultures of Wheaton, with activities beginning at 6 p.m.
• July 31 -- Inspired Through Music, a celebration of Music Director Bruce Moss' 35th year conducting the band.
• Aug. 7 -- Our Favorite Audience, Their Favorite Tunes! with songs selected by the audience.
• Aug. 14 -- Jazz Concert, led by Elmhurst College professor Doug Beach.
For details, visit wheatonmunicipalband.org.