A lone gunman armed with a shotgun opened fire on students at a small Christian university in Seattle, killing a 19-year-old man and wounding two others. A student building monitor pepper-sprayed him and subdued him with the help of others, preventing more deaths, according to police.
Here is a look at some of the worst shootings on or near college campuses in recent years:
• May 23, 2014: Elliot Rodger killed six people and injured seven more before turning his gun on himself in a rampage in Isla Vista, California, near two universities, according to police. The rampage was over just eight minutes after it began with Rodger stabbing three people at his apartment, authorities said. He drove around the city firing on people outside a sorority house and inside a deli.
• June 7, 2013: Five people are killed and several others are wounded when John Zawahri, 23, shoots his father and brother and then shoots at strangers in cars and at Santa Monica College, where students were taking final exams. Zawahri is fatally shot by officers in the college library in Santa Monica, California.
• April 2, 2012: Seven people are killed and three are injured when a 43-year-old former student opens fire at a tiny Christian school, Oikos University, in Oakland, California, according to authorities. One Goh was charged with seven counts of murder and three counts of attempted murder but is being held at a Northern California mental hospital after psychiatric evaluations concluded last year that he suffers from long-term paranoid schizophrenia and is unfit to stand trial.
• Feb. 14, 2008: Five students are killed and 18 are wounded when former student Steven Kazmierczak, 27, opens fire in a lecture hall at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb before committing suicide.
• Feb. 8, 2008: Two people are killed when Latina Williams, 23, opens fire during an emergency medical technology class at Louisiana Technical College in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, before shooting herself.
• April 16, 2007: Thirty-two people are fatally shot in a dorm and classroom at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia, before the gunman, Seung-Hui Cho, 23, kills himself.
• Sept. 2, 2006: Two people are killed when gunman Douglas W. Pennington, 49, shoots his sons before killing himself during a visit to Shepherd University in Shepherdstown, West Virginia.
• Oct. 28, 2002: Three professors are killed when Robert Flores Jr., 41, who was flunking out of the University of Arizona nursing school, shoots them before killing himself in Tucson, Arizona.
• Jan. 16, 2002: Three people are killed and three are wounded when a recently dismissed graduate student at the Appalachian School of Law in Grundy, Virginia, returns to camps and targets the dean, a professor and a student. Peter Odighizuwa, 42, pleaded guilty in the attack and was sentenced to life in prison.
• Aug. 15, 1996: Three professors are shot and killed when Frederick Martin Davidson, 36, a graduate engineering student at San Diego State University, is defending his thesis before a faculty committee and pulls out a handgun. Davidson was later sentenced in California to three life terms in prison without parole.