Breaking News Bar
updated: 6/2/2014 3:01 PM

No injuries in Lombard chemical leak

Success - Article sent! close

No one was injured Monday when a small chemical fluoride leak prompted a hazardous materials crew to respond to the Highland Hills Sanitary District in Lombard.

York Center Fire Chief Andy Bonomo said crews responded at 10 a.m. to the facility at 566 E. 13th Place after some employees reported a possible chemical leak and a strong chlorine smell.

"We did locate about a pint of a liquid chemical that had leaked onto the top of the drum," Bonomo said. "One woman complained of a sore throat but we did not need to treat anyone for any reason."

District President Alphonso Sarno Jr. said a chemical removal crew already had been called and cleaned the area by early Monday afternoon.

"It was a chemical fluoride leak and it caused some of our folks to have some burning in their eyes and noses," Sarno said. "But it's all cleaned up now and everything is safe."

The district provides sanitary sewer and potable water service to 350 residents in a portion of Lombard between Roosevelt Road to the north, Meyers Road to the east, 22nd Street to the south and Main Street to the west.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.