No injuries were reported Thursday morning when fire swept through a large two-story house on the 4300 block of Downers Drive in Downers Grove.
A furnace malfunction in the home's attached garage triggered the blaze, authorities said. The fire caused extensive damage and residents were not allowed to re-enter
Contact information ( * required )
Firefighters said they received a 911 call at 5:23 a.m. for a fire in the home's garage. When they arrived, thick, black smoke was pouring from the house and had spread through the neighborhood. Flames were visible through the windows.
The homeowners' daughter alerted other family members inside and all residents had escaped by the time firefighters arrived. The house was declared uninhabitable because of the widespread damage.
Firefighters said the fire was out by 6 a.m., but crews remained on the scene to assist the homeowners.
Downers Grove firefighters were assisted by the village's police and code enforcement departments as well as fire crews from Lisle-Woodridge, Westmont and York Center.