Northwestern Lake Forest Hospital awarded the 2014 Jean Ewing Nursing Excellence Award to Amanda Hiett, BSN, RN, who works in the day surgery post-anesthesia care unit at Northwestern Lake Forest. She received the award during a Nurses Week ceremony for exemplifying the highest standards of professional and nursing excellence.
"Amanda represents the very best of our profession," said Denise Majeski, MSN, RN, ACM, BE-BC, vice president of operations and chief nurse executive for Northwestern Lake Forest Hospital. "Amanda approaches her work with complete professionalism accompanied by compassion so that each patient is assured they are receiving the best care possible after surgery."
Contact information ( * required )
Hiett has worked at Northwestern Lake Forest for five years; previously she worked for nine years at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago. She lives in Highland Park with her husband and three young sons and credits Northwestern Lake Forest for providing the flexibility that allows her and many others to flourish in their careers while keeping up with the demands of a young family.
"I've been pleased and impressed with the high level of care provided by the physicians and nurses at Northwestern Lake Forest which matches my experience working at Northwestern Memorial," said Hiett. "It is very flattering to receive this award from my peers whom I respect so much."
"I also want to thank my husband, mother and mother-in-law who give so much support to me in my career and to our family," said Hiett.
The hospital honored 11 other nurses with the 2014 Northwestern Lake Forest Hospital Nursing Excellence awards. The winners are:
Quality of Practice – Tracy Blasius, BSN, RN, CPN (Pediatrics)
• Education – Debra Sandquist, BSN, RN (PACU)
• Professional Practice Evaluation – Kathleen Hubbard, RN, RNC-MNN (Mother/Baby)
• Communication – Juliette Triebe, BSN, RN (Day Surgery/PACU)
• Collaboration – Joan Bailey, BNS, RN, ACM (Case Management)
• Ethics – Karen Ellis, BSN, RN (Emergency Services)
• Evidence-Based Practice and Research – Patricia Alex, RN, CCRN (Cath Lab/IR)
• Resource Utilization – Mechelle Krause, BA, RN, WCC (Exceptional Practice)
• Leadership – Ellen Persak-Leach, BSN, RN (Cardio Pulmonary Rehab)
• Environmental Health – Margaret Eis, RN, CEN (Emergency Department)
• Advance Practice/Nurse Manager/Clinical Masters Prepared– Kimberly Goerth, MSN, RN, ACM (Case Management)
The hospital also gave an award to an outstanding member of the support staff, listed below:
• Health Care Support Staff – Donald Strenger (Security and Emergency Department)
The award recipients were honored for their quality and compassion in caring for patients, families and nursing colleagues and for meeting the American Nurses Association's Standards of Professional Performance. For more information about nursing at Northwestern Lake Forest Hospital, visit lfh.org/nursing_at_northwestern_lake_forest_hospital.