Breaking News Bar
updated: 5/23/2014 4:33 PM

Navy finds hull of missing British yacht

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • Missing sailors, from left to right, Paul Gosling, James Male, Steve Warren and Andrew Bridge.

      Missing sailors, from left to right, Paul Gosling, James Male, Steve Warren and Andrew Bridge.
    Associated Press

 
Associated Press

BOSTON -- A U.S. Navy warship has located the overturned hull of a British yacht that went missing last week 1,000 miles off the Massachusetts coast, but officials said Friday night's deadline to end the search remains in effect.

Coast Guard Petty Officer Robert Simpson said a helicopter from the warship spotted the hull Friday and a small boat crew confirmed it bore the name of the 40-foot Cheeki Rafiki. The hull had previously been spotted by a commercial vessel last Saturday.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

A Navy swimmer found the boat's cabin was completely flooded and its windows shattered. Simpson said the swimmer also knocked on the hull and reached below the waterline with no results.

Simpson said the search for the ship's four crew members continues, but that the 10 p.m. EST deadline for suspending the search remains in effect. He said crews are searching for a bright-colored life raft. The Coast Guard said Thursday that the search would only be extended beyond midnight if sightings suggest that crew members are still alive.

The British Foreign Office said it has informed family members of the missing men of the discovery. The Foreign Office said earlier Friday that the families were "saddened to hear that the US Coast Guard will be suspending the search. But they were prepared for the fact that this would have to happen."

The Cheeki Rafiki had had been returning to England from a regatta in Antigua when it reported trouble last Thursday.

Contact with the crew -- which included 22-year-old captain Andrew Bridge and crew members James Male, 23, Steve Warren, 52, and Paul Goslin, 56 -- was lost Friday, May 16.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.
    help here