Breaking News Bar
updated: 5/16/2014 11:00 PM

Officials: Fish tank sparks St. Charles house fire

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 

Malfunctioning fish tank equipment contributed to a fire Friday afternoon at a home on the 1600 block of Ronzheimer Avenue, according to St. Charles fire officials.

Firefighters arrived about 1:30 p.m. and found the fire in the attached garage of a two-story, single-family home, officials said.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Firefighters extinguished the blaze in about 15 minutes but remained on the scene until about 2:45 p.m. to inspect the area and investigate the fire.

The cause appears to be an electrical malfunction of aerating equipment for a fish tank, officials said.

None of the residents were at home at the time of the fire, and no firefighters were injured, reports said.

The loss is estimated at $7,500 to the structure and the contents of the garage.

The fire was discovered by a UPS driver who noticed smoke coming from under the garage door and called 911, officials said.

The St. Charles Fire Department was assisted by the Geneva, Batavia, West Chicago and Elburn fire departments.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.