With just weeks to go before Pace and the CTA drop the existing fare system and switch over to its replacement, Ventra, the suburban bus agency will hold a series of outreach events.
The traditional magnetic stripe cards will be phased out July 1. Although Pace riders can still pay with cash, they won't be able to purchase transfers as of July 1.
On June 1, Chicago Card and Chicago Plus Card programs will be discontinued although remaining balances can be transferred to Ventra cards. For more, go to www.pacebus.com/ventra/.
Here are some upcoming events where Pace staff members will hand out Ventra cards and explain how the new system works:
• 3 to 6 p.m. May 20 at the Belmont Metra station, 5000 Belmont Road, Downers Grove.
• 3 to 6 p.m. May 22 at the Pace Waukegan Pulse Point, Sheridan Road and Washington Street.
• 7 a.m. to noon June 6 at Yorktown mall, Lombard.
• 7 to 10 a.m. June 10 at the Bensenville Metra station, 110 W. Main St.
• 7 to 10 a.m. June 16 at the Route 59 Metra station, 1090 N. Route 59, Aurora.
• 6:30 to 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. June 18 at the Aurora Transportation Center, 233 N. Broadway.
• 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 19 at the Des Plaines Metra station, 1501 Miner St.
• 6:30 to 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. June 20 at the Elgin Transportation Center, 102-06 W. Chicago St.
• 6:30 to 8:30 a.m. June 23 at the Geneva Metra station, 328 Crescent Place.