A list of some recent fatal mine disasters around the world:
• 2013: 83 workers are buried by a massive landslide at a gold mining site in a mountainous area of Tibet, east of Lhasa, according to Chinese state media.
Contact information ( * required )
• 2012: At least 60 people dead after a landslide at a gold mine in a remote corner of northeast Congo.
• 2011: Fifty-two people are feared dead in southwestern Pakistan after a gas explosion deep in a coal mine in Sorange, near Quetta.
• 2010: 29 men are killed in New Zealand's worst mining disaster in decades after a huge gas-fueled explosion deep underground ends hopes of rescuing the South Island coal miners, who were caught in a similar blast five days earlier.
• 2010: 33 miners are rescued after being trapped for 69 days in a gold and copper mine in Chile's northern Atacama desert.
• 2010: 29 miners are killed in an explosion at West Virginia's Upper Big Branch coal mine.
• 2007: At least 90 are killed in post-Soviet Ukraine's worst mining disaster, after a methane blast rips through tunnels deep below ground in a coal mine near the eastern city of Donetsk.
• 2007: Six miners, three rescuers are killed in collapses at the Crandall Canyon coal mine in Emery County, Utah.
• 2006: 65 coal miners are killed from a gas explosion in San Juan de Sabinas, in northern Mexico's Coahuila state.
• 2006: 12 killed in a methane explosion at the Sago coal mine in West Virginia.
¶ 2005: 203 miners die and 12 more are missing after an explosion deep in a coal shaft in southwestern China, the government stated in its worst reported mining disaster since communist rule began in 1949. The blast occurred in the Fuxin coal-mining region.