West Chicago, Illinois - May 8, 2014 - A new "spin" on an old favorite will bring added energy to West Chicago's annual downtown garden festival, Blooming Fest, on Saturday, May 17, 2014. Capitalizing on the theme of cycling which is the focus of a current City Museum exhibit, The (Bi)Cycle of Life, and the Cultural Arts Commission's annual Community Banner Art Project of the same name, organizers have added a number of new activities this year that will complement the exhibit and public art display and enhance the event experience for festival-goers. The following lists some highlights:
• A display of antique bicycles will be available for viewing at the City Museum.
Contact information ( * required )
• Children are invited to bring their bicycles for decorating prior to a bike parade on Fremont Street.
• Members of the Police Department will be on hand to offer safety tips and promote the Bicycle Registration Program.
• ABD Cycling Club will provide information on racing and training criteriums and will sponsor the appearance of U.S. Paralympics cyclist and 2012 Gold Medal Winner Joe Berenyi, who will be available throughout the day.
• The DuPage County Forest Preserve District's Department of Law Enforcement will be represented through volunteers from its Trail Patrol Program.
• Working Bikes, a not for profit organization, will be on hand to collect unwanted bicycles and bicycle parts and provide information on how it gives new life to the bikes by redistributing them as tools of empowerment in local and global communities.
• Illinois Prairie Path Corporation will provide information about bike trails and paths.
Blooming Fest's 14-year history as a popular destination for garden enthusiasts remains at the center of the event, with the widely acclaimed plant sale presented by the West Chicago Garden Club on Galena Street, and guest horticultural speakers at 122 Main Street. Plus, family-friendly activities include children's games, an inflatable jump house, a car show, music, food and a community art show. For those looking to buy that one-of-a-kind item for their garden or as a gift, a craft sale will offer everything from birdhouses and ornamental garden art to hand-cut gemstone jewelry and home décor.
The one-day, outdoor event is free and open to the public between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. and will take place rain or shine on Main Street in the historic downtown district of West Chicago. For further information, call (630) 293-2200 ext. 135 or visit www.westchicago.org for a complete schedule of events.