The new owners of the abruptly shuttered Bristol Court banquet hall, which now will be called Bristol Palace, are closer to reopening after Mount Prospect trustees this week approved a liquor license for the facility.
The license, granted for owners Sam Baig and his son, Shafee, provides for alcohol service in conjunction with events at the 18,000-square-foot facility that accommodates up to 500 guests.
Contact information ( * required )
Baig, who for 11 years has owned and operated Monty's Elegant Banquets in Bensenville, bought the banquet hall last month, after its former owners suddenly closed without warning. Baig plans to eventually turn over operations of the Mount Prospect facility to his son.
"We certainly appreciate you coming in as quickly as you did to rescue that business and get it going again," Mayor Arlene Juracek told Baig Tuesday. "(Hopefully it will) alleviate some of the fears of brides and other party givers going forward."
"You stepped into a big hole in our banquet community," Trustee Paul Hoefert added.
Many wedding parties and other groups were left in difficult circumstances in March when Bristol Court unexpectedly closed. Baig did not address Tuesday whether bookings made under the former ownership would be honored when he reopens. The new owners said they have not yet determined a reopening date.
The Baigs plan no substantial changes to the facility, other than upgrading the carpet and freshly painting the inside.
Juracek also noted that they will be retaining Anna Routhtas, who managed the facility for its previous owners.
"Service is going to be number one," Sam Baig said.