Breaking News Bar
updated: 5/2/2014 10:33 PM

Prosecutors expand look at anti-violence effort

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
Associated Press

Cook County and federal prosecutors are expanding their look into Gov. Pat Quinn's now-defunct anti-violence program.

Illinois Criminal Justice Information Authority spokeswoman Cristin Evans said Friday the agency received inquiries from the Cook County state's attorney's office and the U.S. attorney's office in Springfield. Evans said the agency is cooperating.

Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez last month sought records on the anti-violence program from the state Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity. The U.S. Department of Justice had previously asked for information.

The Chicago Sun-Times reports that in her latest subpoena, Alvarez seeks a variety of information pertaining to the Illinois Violence Prevention Authority, which succeeded the Neighborhood Recovery Program.

Quinn visited several Chicago televisions stations Friday to point out he swiftly corrected problems with the program.

Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.