Breaking News Bar
updated: 4/25/2014 3:07 PM

Grayslake dry cleaner employee still hospitalized after chemical, steam explosion

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • An employee at A1 Cleaners on Route 120 in Grayslake remains hospitalized from burns suffered in a chemical and steam explosion from an equipment malfunction there Thursday afternoon, authorities said.

       An employee at A1 Cleaners on Route 120 in Grayslake remains hospitalized from burns suffered in a chemical and steam explosion from an equipment malfunction there Thursday afternoon, authorities said.
    Gilbert R. Boucher II | Staff Photographer

 
 

An employee at a Grayslake dry cleaner remains hospitalized with burns suffered in a chemical and steam explosion from an equipment malfunction at the business, authorities said Friday.

Hazardous materials crews were sent Thursday afternoon to A1 Cleaners, in a strip mall on Route 120 near Lake Street, Grayslake Fire Protection Chief John Christian said. The chemical was contained at the business, but the Lake and McHenry County hazmat crews were sent as a precaution, he said.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Two employees and two firefighters were injured. Christian said the one employee and the firefighters who suffered respiratory irritation have been released from Advocate Condell Medical Center in Libertyville.

However, he said, the other employee has been transferred from Condell to Loyola University Medical Center's burn unit in Maywood. Christian said Friday the man was trying to fix some equipment when pressure that had built inside cause an unspecified chemical and steam to explode on him.

Route 120 was shut down for about three hours in the area because of emergency crews on the scene, but it reopened Thursday evening.

Twitter: @DHBobSusnjara

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.