Breaking News Bar
updated: 4/22/2014 7:47 AM

General Motors seeks more protection from suits

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • Mary Barra, chief executive officer of General Motors Co. (GM), speaks during a Senate Consumer Protection, Product Safety, and Insurance subcommittee hearing in Washington, D.C.earlier this month.

      Mary Barra, chief executive officer of General Motors Co. (GM), speaks during a Senate Consumer Protection, Product Safety, and Insurance subcommittee hearing in Washington, D.C.earlier this month.
    Associated Press

 
Associated Press

General Motors Co. has filed suit in a U.S. bankruptcy court asking a judge to protect the company from legal claims for actions that took place before it emerged from bankruptcy in 2009.

The suit was filed Monday evening in the Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York. A hearing has not yet been set.

The filing asserts that the "numerous lawsuits" recently filed throughout the United States dealing with GM's recall of cars with possible ignition switch problems are "retained liabilities" of the old GM, not the new company.

It says the recall involves vehicles "manufactured and sold by Old GM" and asks Judge Robert Gerber to protect the "new GM" from claims.

GM has said at least 13 deaths have been linked to the ignition problem.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.