1. A kayaking trip on the Fox River turned deadly for a 26-year-old Bloomington man when his kayak plunged over a dam in Geneva. One of the bystanders who helped save the second kayaker says "it was clear they were struggling."
2. Let's just say the Blackhawks have their work cut out for them heading into Game 3 on Monday night at the United Center. But despite facing an uphill battle -- Hawks defenseman Brent Seabrook was suspended three games by the league Sunday for his shoulder hit to the head of the Blues' David Backes -- the Hawks look at their 0-2 deficit and see it as something they can climb their way out of.
Contact information ( * required )
3. Aida Frey, a 13-year-old from Algonquin, already has visited 163 national parks and historic sites, and earned about 300 badges, pins and medals as part of the National Park Service's Junior Ranger program. Guess what she wants to be when she grows up.
4. Hoping that recent "puppy mill" bans in Chicago and suburban Cook County spread to the collar counties, protesters from the Puppy Mill Project held a rally in Batavia on Saturday. The store they targeted, however, said they mostly get their puppies from hobby breeders, not operations the protesters say are mills.
5. A 54-year-old Geneva woman was killed in a motorcycle accident about 3 p.m. Saturday west of Elgin on Route 20 near the intersection with Switzer Road in unincorporated Plato Township. The crash remains under investigation.
6. Naperville Unit District 203 officials who are proposing changes to the way educators support struggling students and challenge advanced ones are hearing concerns from a variety of camps.
7. Arlington Heights police released sketches of two women they say scammed an elderly woman out of $12,000 last month.
8. A 51-year-old downstate man with a long criminal record was sentenced to 22 years in prison Friday for a June 2012 apartment burglary in Downers Grove after DNA from glasses he left at the scene linked him to the crime.
9. Gurnee police are calling for the public's help in locating a 16-year-old girl who's been missing nearly two weeks. Samantha Smithwas last seen April 11 near Warren Township High School's freshman-sophomore O'Plaine Road campus in Gurnee.
10. A 49-year-old Geneva man pleaded guilty to growing 69 marijuana plants on the side of his home and was sentenced to two years probation, but could face up to up to seven years in prison if he fails to stay out of trouble.