Breaking News Bar
updated: 4/7/2014 4:56 PM

No injuries in Streamwood chlorine leak

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
Daily Herald report

No injuries were reported after a chlorine Monday morning at the Streamwood water treatment plant, officials said.

The Streamwood Fire Department responded to the plant, 590 S. Bartlett Road, at 11:47 a.m. for a report of a leak.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

After putting on protective clothing and entering the building to investigate, firefighters were able to stop the leak by tightening a leaky valve, according to the fire department.

An employee stated that he was disconnecting a 100-pound chlorine cylinder when the leak started. He evacuated the building and was not injured.

Chlorine is used to purify water by killing bacteria. Chlorine gas is toxic by inhalation.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.