No injuries were reported after a chlorine Monday morning at the Streamwood water treatment plant, officials said.
The Streamwood Fire Department responded to the plant, 590 S. Bartlett Road, at 11:47 a.m. for a report of a leak.
After putting on protective clothing and entering the building to investigate, firefighters were able to stop the leak by tightening a leaky valve, according to the fire department.
An employee stated that he was disconnecting a 100-pound chlorine cylinder when the leak started. He evacuated the building and was not injured.
Chlorine is used to purify water by killing bacteria. Chlorine gas is toxic by inhalation.