The Daily Herald staff has been nominated for 21 prestigious Peter Lisagor Awards for Exemplary Journalism.
Reporters, editors, photographers and a page designer were among this year's finalists, including the late Blackhawks reporter Tim Sassone, nominated for Best Sports Story.
In three categories, the Daily Herald is assured of taking home honors. Photographers Bob Chwedyk and Steve Lundy are the only finalists in the Best Feature Photo and Best Sports Photo categories, respectively. All three finalists in the Best Arts Reporting and Criticism category are Daily Herald entries.
The newspaper is also a nominee in the General Excellence in Print category.
"We are so proud of our staff's efforts. We're grateful for the judges' recognition, and see it as a reflection of the commitment the Daily Herald makes to quality journalism every day," said Senior Vice President/Editor John Lampinen.
The Daily Herald finalists are:
• Multimedia collaboration: the Daily Herald and Reboot Illinois' "Pension reform"
• Best non-deadline reporting: Eric Peterson and Barbara Vitello for "Aftermath of Schaumburg cops' arrest"
• Best Investigative Reporter: Tax Watchdog Editor Jake Griffin for "Schools' lavish conference spending"
• Best Political and Government Reporting: Political Editor Mike Riopell for "Dangers of video gambling" and former Political Editor Kerry Lester for "Illinois GOP chairman's ouster over gay marriage support"
• Best Education Reporting: Daily Herald staff for "Top teachers series"
• Best Editorial Writing: Assistant Vice President/Managing Editor Jim Baumann and Senior Vice President/Editor John Lampinen
• Best Feature Story or Series: Barbara Vitello, "The Ramirez sisters on their own"
• Best Arts Reporting and Criticism: Dann Gire's film reviews; Jamie Sotonoff and Dann Gire for "Suburban Showcase"; and Barbara Vitello's theater reviews
• Best Sports Story: Tim Sassone, "Two cups for the cap crusaders"
• Best Sports Commentary: Mike Imrem's columns; Barry Rozner's columns
• Best News Photo: Joe Lewnard, "Butterfly child"; and Dan White, "Help during a flood"
• Best Feature Photo: Bob Chwedyk, "Cats want in"
• Best Sports Photo: Steve Lundy, "Goalie's Leap"
• Best Design: copy editor Brian Shamie
The winners will be announced May 2 during a dinner at the Union League Club of Chicago.