The defense attorney for a Chicago man accused of kidnapping and molesting a 3-year-old Mundelein girl questioned in court whether her client is fit to stand trial.
A mental health evaluation has been ordered for Jose Reyes, 28, of the 4900 block of West North Avenue, after defense attorney Catherine Hatch said Reyes had not been cooperative with his defense.
Aside from ordering the mental health evaluation, Judge Mark Levitt told Reyes that Hatch was one of the "very best attorneys" in Lake County, and is more than capable of helping him.
Hatch did not comment after Thursday's hearing.
"We want (Reyes) to receive the proper due process," Assistant State's Attorney Fred Day said after the hearing. Day would not comment on whether he thought Reyes is fit to stand trial.
Reyes faces a minimum of 24 years in prison if found guilty of aggravated kidnapping, kidnapping, predatory criminal sexual assault, production of child pornography, and possession of child pornography.
In total, he faces a maximum of 60 years in prison for sexual assault, 30 years for each of the two counts of production of child pornography, and 30 years for aggravated kidnapping. If convicted on all charges, the sentences would be served consecutively and effectively could put him behind bars for life, authorities said.
Reyes is accused of snatching the 3-year-old victim near the building where she was playing with her sister in the Deepwoods Apartment complex on the 500 block of Deepwoods Drive about 5:30 p.m. Sept. 30, authorities said.
After grabbing the girl, Reyes strapped her in the front seat of a 2007 Hyundai Accent and sped off, police said.
She was found wandering in a nearby parking lot about 30 minutes later. The victim was returned to police and her mother, then taken to a hospital where tests were conducted, police said.
Video surveillance from where the girl was dropped off and a traffic ticket that recently had been issued to Reyes led police to interview and arrest him at his Libertyville job.
He remains held in Lake County jail in lieu of $5 million bail. His next court date is April 30 and the case is due to go to trial May 27.