The third annual Elgin Youth Symphony Orchestra Faculty Benefit Recital, a free faculty recital to raise donations for EYSO Scholarship Fund, will be held from 2 to 3 p.m. Sunday, March 23, at Spartan Auditorium, Elgin Community College Arts Center, 1700 Spartan Drive, Elgin.
The concert is free but tickets must be reserved in advance at tickets.elgin.edu or by calling (847) 622-0300. Donations to benefit the EYSO scholarship fund will be accepted at the concert.
Contact information ( * required )
For the third time in its 38-year history, the Elgin Youth Symphony Orchestra faculty and Chamber Music Institute coaches will take to the stage to perform together.
The recital will include an hour of music by professional musicians with impressive resumes. This is a rare opportunity to hear local world-class musicians play together.
The following musicians are scheduled to play at the recital:
• Randal Swiggum (piano), Artistic Director and Youth Symphony conductor
• David Anderson (piano), Philharmonia conductor
• Jason Flaks (trumpet), Sinfonia and Brass Choir conductor
• Andrew Masters (violin and trumpet), Prelude Orchestra conductor
• Daryl Silberman (Violin and viola), Primo Orchestra conductor
• Jacqueline Fisher (violin), Chamber Music Institute director
• Greg Beyer (percussion), Chamber Music Institute coach
• Timothy Archbold (cello), Hanson String Quartet coach
• Danny Seidenberg (viola), Chamber Music Institute coach
• Ricardo Vazquez (bassoon), Chamber Music Institute coach
The EYSO's 2013-14 "Bardology: Shakespeare, Musically Speaking Season" is a yearlong study of the genius and influence of William Shakespeare with some of the greatest works for orchestra ever written. The year will explore the many layers of Shakespeare through music inspired and informed by his canon.
The orchestra's regular season includes nine concert performances at the Blizzard Theatre on the main campus of ECC. In addition, the Chamber Music Institute performs each semester, the Brass Choir performs every spring, and the EYSO honors chamber ensembles -- the Maud Powell String Quartet, the Sterling Brass Quintet, and the Hanson String Quartet perform throughout the year.
Auditions for the 2014-15 season will be held from May 29 to June 1. Students who will begin fourth grade in the fall to college students may audition for a seat in one of the six ensembles. Applications and audition requirements may be found at www.eyso.org.