The ongoing opiate epidemic is destroying our community. Please take a look at the list below for steps you can take to be a part of the solution to this devastating problem.
• Learn about the treatments: there are new medical treatments that are revolutionizing the treatment of opiate dependence.
Contact information ( * required )
• Contact your representatives. Urgent funding is needed for treatment facilities and educational programs.
• Contact the media (Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, the newspaper, school papers, your local television station).
• Contact the schools. Put on a presentation in the classroom.
• Examine your own views regarding chemical dependence.
• Turn in unused medications to a pharmacy or your local police. Get rid of them!
• Check your medicine cabinet -- it may not just be family members stealing pills, guests might steal from your cabinet. (This is the leading source of new opiate abuse.)
• Educate your doctor. How many pills/refills are really necessary?
• Donate your time, talent and/or treasure to a treatment center or community-based organization.
If nothing else, please say a prayer for those struggling with this problem and the families of those who have died.
David Tews, Ed.D., LCPC, CADC