Tom Minichiello's journey to running a marathon in less than four hours in all 50 states and Washington, D.C., is chock-full of numbers.
There's the number of miles he ran in races: 1,336.2; the number of marathons he ran in 2012: 26; the number of times he finished in the top three for his age group: five; and the number of times he ran four marathons in a month: thankfully, only one.
Minichiello, 55, of Naperville is a numbers guy, working as senior vice president and chief financial officer of Westell in Aurora -- when he's not running, that is. Here are some of the numerical highlights of the 51 races Minichiello ran to become the 52nd finisher in the 50sub4 Marathon Club:
• Fastest time: 3:18:14 at the Chicago Marathon in October 1999, his third marathon of the journey.
• Slowest time: 3:58:31 at the Sioux Falls Marathon in South Dakota last September, his third-to-last marathon.
• Hottest race: Fargo Marathon in North Dakota in May 2013. Time: 3:54:27.
• Coldest race: Rocket City Marathon in Alabama in December 2006. Time: 3:28:28.
• Hilliest race: New York City Marathon in November 2011. Time: 3:54:52.
• Flattest race: Mississippi Coast Marathon in November 2011, just 20 days after his hilliest race in New York City. Time: 3:22:11.