Breaking News Bar
updated: 2/24/2014 9:08 PM

Palatine fire blamed on space heater

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • Palatine firefighters responded to a condominium fire Sunday morning at the Brentwood of Palatine Condominiums. Authorities on Monday said it appears the blaze started when items stored too closely to a space heater ignited.

       Palatine firefighters responded to a condominium fire Sunday morning at the Brentwood of Palatine Condominiums. Authorities on Monday said it appears the blaze started when items stored too closely to a space heater ignited.
    Gilbert R. Boucher II | Staff Photographer

 
 

Combustible items stored too close to a space heater sparked a fire Sunday morning that temporarily displaced 15 residents of a Palatine condominium building and caused more than $100,000 in damage, fire officials said Monday.

Palatine Deputy Fire Chief Patrick Gratzianna said investigators are not able to determine exactly what types of items caught fire but said typical examples would be wood, paper, plastic or clothes.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

"I doubt they might find it because a lot of that stuff gets burned away," he said.

The first-floor unit where the fire apparently started is a "total loss," Gratzianna said, and a neighboring unit and the unit above it sustained intense smoke damage. Most residents displaced by the fire have been able to move back in.

Factoring in the loss of one unit and the smoke damage in the other two, Gratzianna said the initial damage estimate is between $110,000 and $115,000.

Gratzianna said a formal report on the fire is expected to be filed by the end of the week.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.