DEKALB, Ill. -- A northern Illinois school district has hired a firm to monitor air quality at a school where dozens were sickened when an odor was released by a nearby landfill.
The incident happened last month at Cortland Elementary School outside DeKalb. More than 70 people needed medical treatment after they complained of dizziness and other symptoms. The students, teachers and staff were all treated for low levels of carbon monoxide exposure. However an assessment found the odor made them ill.
On Tuesday, DeKalb School District 428 unanimously voted to hire Aires Consulting to continuously monitor air quality at the school.
The Daily-Chronicle reports the district will pay $21,000 for the company to monitor air quality and send a monthly report through February of next year.