• F. Scott Fitzgerald scholar and author Sarah Churchwell discusses and signs copies of her book "Careless People: Murder, Mayhem and the Invention of the Great Gatsby" at 7 p.m. Monday, Feb. 3, at The Book Stall, 811 Elm St., Winnetka. (847) 446-8880 or thebookstall.com.
• New York Times best-selling author Jay Asher discusses and signs copies of his book "Thirteen Reasons Why" at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 4, in the west auditorium of Stevenson High School, 1 Stevenson Drive, Lincolnshire. The author's visit is sponsored jointly by the Vernon Area Public Library District, at 300 Olde Half Day Road, Lincolnshire, and the Stevenson High School Foundation. Copies of Asher's book will be available for purchase at the event. Free; registration is required. (224) 543-1485 or bit.ly/jayaher.
Contact information ( * required )
• Meet New York Times best-selling author Dan Stashower as he reads from and signs copies of his book "The Hour of Peril: The Secret Plot to Murder Lincoln Before the Civil War" at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 4, at Anderson's Bookshop, 123 W. Jefferson Ave., Naperville. (630) 355-2665 or andersonsbookshop.com.
• Author Ken Jennings discusses and signs copies of books in his new children's book series, "Ken Jennings' Junior Genius Guide," at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 5, at Anderson's Bookshop at 5112 Main St., Downers Grove. The first books to be released in the series are "Maps and Geography" and "Greek Mythology." Jennings gained fame in 2004 when he won $2.52 million after a 74-game winning streak on the television game show "Jeopardy." Priority numbers to reserve a place in the book-signing line are available with the purchase of the author's books from Anderson's Bookshop. (630) 963-2665 or andersonsbookshop.com.
• "Clark the Shark Dares to Share" author Bruce Hale reads from and signs copies of his book at 2 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 8, at Anderson's Bookshop, 123 W. Jefferson Ave., Naperville. (630) 355-2665 or andersonsbookshop.com.
• Author Simeon Wright discusses and signs copies of his book "Simeon's Story: An Eyewitness Account of the Kidnapping of Emmett Till" from 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 8, at the Oak Park Public Library, 834 Lake St., Oak Park. Books will be available for purchase at the event. (708) 383-8200 or oppl.org.
-- Laura Milbrath Stewart