Breaking News Bar
updated: 1/28/2014 6:24 PM

Electrical fire causes smoke damage in Batavia

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
Daily Herald report

Moisture on an unused electrical outlet caused a fire Tuesday afternoon at an apartment complex in Batavia, fire officials said.

Fire officials responded to Lorlyn Apartments, 1005 Lorlyn Circle, in Batavia at 3:21 p.m. for a call about a structure fire, according to a news release.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

When officials first responded there was no fire visible, but investigators found that a fire under the bed of a third-floor apartment had been extinguished, officials said.

Officials said the fire appears to have been caused by electrical issues.

"It appeared that moisture/water caused an unused outlet to arch, catching a comforter and other material on fire," the release said.

The residents were home at the time and put out the fire before it spread, but frozen windows made ventilation difficult.

Fire officials were able to open a window to air out the apartment.

No one was injured in the fire, but significant smoke damage was caused, according to the release.

Officials estimated damage at $1,600.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.
    help here