The winners of Volo Bog State Natural Area's 27th Annual Nature Photo Contest were announced Jan. 12 at Volo Bog's annual WinterFest.
The competition and show is presented each year by Volo Bog State Natural Area, the Friends of Volo Bog and the ShutterBugs of Volo Bog.
Contact information ( * required )
Volo Bog State Natural Area is an Illinois Department of Natural Resources site in Ingleside, on Brandenburg Road west off Route 12, between routes 120 and 134.
Sixteen people entered the contest, with a total of 134 entries in seven categories.
Visitors to the State Natural Area's Visitor Center from Oct. 19 to Jan. 10 were asked to vote for their favorites in each category and for their favorite overall.
First-, second- and third-place ribbons were awarded to the top vote-getters in each category. A plaque was awarded to first place in each category, as well as to the two Bests of Show -- Peoples' Choice and Judges' Award.
Best of Show winners
• Peoples' Choice: Tammy Rusch of Round Lake for "Afternoon Storm in Idaho."
• Judges' Award: Paul McFadden of Algonquin for "Midwest Monet."
• 1st: Joy Skyles of Lakemoor for "Almost a Pinecone";
• 2nd: Laura Dainton of Lakemoor for "Buckbean on Black";
• 3rd: Karen Adams Taylor of Antioch for "Spring Redbuds."
• 1st: George Cisko of Spring Grove for "Buckeye Butterfly";
• 2nd: Paul McFadden of Algonquin for "Spiderweb Kaleidoscope";
• 3rd: Karen Adams Taylor of Antioch for "Praying Mantis."
Black & White
• 1st: Paul McFadden of Algonquin for "A '10' for Artistry";
• 2nd: Michael Schmitt of Grayslake for "Trumpeter Swan";
• 3rd: Laura Dainton of Lakemoor for "Stretch."
• 1st: Paul McFadden of Algonquin for "Bluebird of Unhappiness";
• 2nd: Michael Schmitt of Grayslake for "Eagle Snacking on a Mallard";
• 3rd: Paul McFadden of Algonquin for "Dude -- What's That?"
• 1st: John Franzen of Rolling Meadows for "Early Spring";
• 2nd: Paul McFadden of Algonquin for "Up a Layzee River";
• 3rd: Ken Olsen of Palatine for "Haunted Forest."
Beyond the Midwest
• 1st: Tammy Rusch of Round Lake for "Afternoon Snowstorm in Idaho";
• 2nd: Joy Skyles of Lakemoor for "Eyes All Around";
• 3rd: Tammy Rusch of Round Lake for "Lake Reflections."
Alteration of Reality
• 1st: Joy Skyles of Lakemoor for "The Bottom";
• 2nd: Joy Skyles of Lakemoor for "Rose Colored Glasses";
• 3rd: Paul McFadden of Algonquin for "Sunset Tree."
All winning photos will be on display at Volo Bog State Natural Area in Ingleside through Friday, Feb. 28, and available for viewing from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday.
Volo Bog's photo contest runs from mid-October through the Friday preceding WinterFest, which is held the second Sunday each January. Entry forms become available each September.
The Friends of Volo Bog is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) membership organization. Visit www.FriendsofVoloBog.org
The ShutterBugs of Volo Bog meets at 7 p.m. the third Wednesday of each month in the Volo Bog Visitor Center. Visit www.ShutterBugsofVoloBog.com
For information on programs, contact Site Naturalist Stacy Iwanicki at (815) 344-1294 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt/PARKS/R2/VOLOBOG.HTM.